Dual display background resets on sleep/screensaver

Discussion in 'macOS' started by quidire, Jun 8, 2009.

1. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

Hi there,

I have a 24" ACD plugged into my iMac, and they work well together (other than the ACD needing a boost, but we'll discuss that some other time).

I can't seem to get backgrounds to stick; I set a background on both displays, but whenever the machine wakes up from sleep or a screensaver, it's back to the default nebula/star field of Leopard. When I try to once again set those displays, the folder containing the pics, which had been added to the preferences interface, has disappeared from that pref pane.

Any ideas?

-RS

2. wouldyoukindly macrumors member

Change the "DefaultDesktop.jpg" file in.... ermmm... system/library/core services??

3. quidire thread starter macrumors 6502

quidire

That's a creative work-around, but I am trying to put different pics on the two screens (and should be able to, damnit!).

4. wouldyoukindly macrumors member

Ah sorry, didn't realise you wanted a different background on each...

Using something like the nView Desktop Manager should have that option to setup different backgrounds for both displays under the Desktops tab.

Either add a new desktop or set the properties on the default desktop. You'll find a checkbox to enable different backgrounds on the properties dialog...?

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Hmm, external monitors for me remember their desktop background settings (per adaptor too, I use a different one for work and home, and they each remember different settings), so I'm not sure why it wouldn't be for you. Have you tried the usually repairing of permissions, and for that matter maybe manually check the permissions of the user library? You could also delete the com.apple.desktop.plist file from your user library and let it recreate it (you'll have to set the desktop picture again for each display, but that file may be corrupted or have bad permissions).

jW

6. quidire thread starter macrumors 6502

quidire

wyk, Mal is right; I ought be able to do this without 3rd party software; this isn't a limitation of OS X, but rather a bug. Mal, I'm trying your fix, Disk Utility is churning :rolleyes:

7. quidire thread starter macrumors 6502

quidire

Didn't work. I seem to recall solving this problem on my gf's account w/ Terminal (defaults something or another). I can't seem to find any reference to it now... any ideas?

-RS