Dual Display June 2011 Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by JHake10, Jul 30, 2011.

1. JHake10 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am new to apple products. I have a desktop that I have built and the graphics card has 2 DVI outputs which I use to connect my 2 monitors. I would like to use the same 2 monitors with my new Mac Mini. When I search online for answers I see many people talking about how to connect the older Mac Mini's (mini Display Port and Mini DVI port) but nothing with the new Mac Mini which has only 1 HDMI port (and the supplied Apple HDMI to DVI adapter). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

The 2011 Mac mini also has a ThunderBolt port, for which you can use MDP to DVI adapters.

3. JHake10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

I did not know that MDP and Thunderbolt were the same type of connector. Thanks for all your help!

4. Kudduz macrumors newbie

I am about to buy a Mac Mini as well and would like to run two (or maybe three) monitors off it.

I see there are two options one for $599 and one for $799. The more expensive one has 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with 3MB on-chip shared L3 cache, 4GB of 1333MHz DDR3 memory vs. 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with 3MB on-chip shared L3 cache, 2GB of 1333MHz DDR3 memory.

Which would I need to buy to accomplish this?

5. simsaladimbamba

You can use both Mac minis to accomplish what you stated to want (running two external displays), CPU or RAM don't have anything to do with it, it is GPU dependent.