Dual Display/Playing Movies Fullscreen

Discussion in 'iPod' started by paulsalter, Mar 15, 2009.

1. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

I have just downloaded my first movie from iTunes (bit late but i mainly use it for music)

I use a MacBook and use the screen on that for a bit of surfing while I watch downloaded programmes on the second screen

I usually use Quicktime which works fine, I can enter full screen mode and it only affects the video playing on the second screen

When I choose full screen mode for the movie in iTunes, it plays fine on the external monitor, but my Macbook just gives a black screen, so is unusable if i watch a movie fullscreen

Am I missing some setting somewhere so I can get itunes to play a movie full screen on my second monitor and still use the macbook display for other things

I know I can use quicktime, but this doesnt remember playback position if i later want to carry on watching on my iphone

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

if you setup iTunes to play videos in a separate window you can drag that to whichever monitor you want and then when you enable full screen mode it should work ok.

3. paulsalter thread starter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Thanks for the quick reply

Just tried that but as soon as I hit full screen the other screen goes blank

itunes + movie screen on macbook display, hit full screen, macbook shows movie, external display blank
    other way round if i try and play it on the external display

fit to screen works but not full screen

4. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I have this same problem. I can't surf the internet while I watch a movie on the external monitor in full screen mode. Kind of annoying. Does anyone have a workaround?

5. poolish macrumors regular

vlc lets you do full screen and do other stuff on the other monitor without it going unfullscreen

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Unfortunately The OP is trying to view iTunes purchased video, and VLC cannot play that content.

7. nkj575 macrumors newbie

quicktime can play DRM protected content so i would use that

8. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

Quicktime won't let you play rented movies, so if anyone knows of any other solutions...?

9. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Quicktime > Preferences > Full Screen > Check the box that says "Remain in Full Screen when player is inactive"

Easy. :)