dual display: Thunderbolt and typical 23" DVI 1080p

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gowanis, Aug 30, 2012.

1. gowanis macrumors 6502

I am still confused :eek:

I am about to purchase a macbook w/retina and a 27" thunderbolt. I currently have a typical Windows setup with two Samsung monitors (DVI) each running at 1920x1080.

Questions:

1) Can I run the Macbook with the Thunderbolt and one of my existing monitors?

2) If so, how would the connection work?

3) If so, what would my resolution setting be? Can I run 2560 x 1440 on the Thunderbolt and 1920x1080 on the Samsung? Or must I reduce the resolution on the Thunderbolt to accommodate?

2. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

1) Yes

2) You would run the Thunderbolt display with one of your two Thunderbolt ports, and the other monitor using a) the included HDMI port, or B) a display port to VGA/DVI adapter.

3) You should be able to run all three displays (including your laptop's built-in display) without having to reduce the resolution on any of the screens. Unfortunately, I don't have the setup you mentioned to confirm. However, I can run a 22 inch monitor (VGA) and HDTV (HDMI) simultaneously pretty well!

3. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it would be a really sweet setup with the Thunderbolt, my existing monitor and the laptop open. Now I just have to fork over the $4,000 to get my stuff.