Dual Displays. HELP

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
I have an iMac G5 and have plugged a CRT monitor into the video out on the back. The iMac's screen and the CRT's and now low resolution and the iMac's screen is at a 4:3 aspect ratio. Also both screens show the same things at the same time, Is their a way to change this so I can have two screens that have different content on both (like in the Apple store where they have dual screens on the same computer).

Please Help Me,
Spencer :)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Apple only supports video mirroring on iMacs/eMacs/iBooks.

Full multiscreen support is on the PowerMacs and PowerBooks.

If you had bothered searching the forums, you would've found several threads on how to enable it. This is one forum thread that came up on a search for "imac dual screen".

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
That's called mirroring, and that is what is built in to the iMac G5...
Video

* VGA output port for video mirroring on external display or projector2
* S-video and composite video output to connect directly to a TV or projector2
* Output resolutions: 640 x 480 pixels at 60Hz, 800 x 600 pixels at 75Hz and 1024 x 768 pixels at 75Hz
What you want to do is spanning, the video card is capable of it -- but you'll need to install a hack to do it.

john1123

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
Down Under
here is the link: Spanning doctor

i am using spanning doctor with my ibook G3 and a 17" CRT and it works fine for me. but for others the patch killed their mac. just be aware of the risk.

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
It works..........Kind of. :(

But since my iMac has a wide screen and the CRT is 4:3 it looks distorted. Is their a way way to fix that and make my CRT a wide screen (by cropping, I don't mind losing some screen space).

john1123

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
Down Under
in the monitor preferences you should be able to select different resolutions for your external screen. hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.