Dual displays - iMac 24" and 20" ACD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rotlex, Nov 19, 2007.

1. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Before I pick up the mini cable for this, I was wondering if anyone has any experience hooking up an Apple Cinema Display (20 inch) as a 2nd monitor for a 24" iMac? (2.8Ghz 4GB ram machine).

I primarily want to use it for Aperture, to keep my photo and controls separate, and may also do that with the new FCE when I get a copy. What I'm wondering is how is the performance? Can the vid card in the iMac drive both of these satisfactorily?

Thanks for any input.

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Yes

3. chmarch macrumors newbie

I bought the Dell 24" pro back in June to use with my aging Gateway, then got the iMac just a month ago. I ordered the Mini DVI - DVI converter with the iMac, and when it came I plugged everything in. I was amazed at how the iMac not only recognized there was a second display, but also put up a different wallpaper automatically, AND told me the exact model of the secondary display. 20" ACD is DVI-D so no worries on compatibility there. Performance is identical on both displays and the same as without the secondary monitor. Happy customer!

4. rotlex thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies on this. Picking up the cable on my way home tonight, and look forward to trying this out.

5. rworne macrumors 6502

I did something similar when I got my 24" Al iMac.

I picked up a mini-DVI to DVI adaptor, and used that to plug in my aging Apple LCD monitor from my old Quicksilver. So it went from iMac -> mini-DVI -> DVI -> ADC -> LCD and all is working just fine.

6. IBitePrettyHard macrumors member

I have a related question to that. Can I buy a second monitor for my 24" AL iMac for use in games? The idea is that I could potentially get a monitor with a refresh rate that is higher than 60hz. Would that work, or is the secondary monitor bound to the iMac's native refresh rate?

7. rotlex thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just a follow up, as I get excited easily, LOL.

Picked up the cable last night, hooked everything up, and MAN, I'm sold! First, hookup was a cinch. OS X set everything up right on boot. Second, and mind you, I have never run dual monitors before....THIS IS AWESOME!

I'm already thinking of great new ways to improve my photo and video workflow, not to mention it's very cool to have a VM running on Fusion on the 2nd monitor, while I have OS X running up on the main one. (Almost like having 2 compupters)!

Anyway, I'm having a blast with this, and should have done it sooner!

8. thederby macrumors regular

i'm historically a "two screen" guy, but i really don't see the need with spaces. now i just keep my windows VM full screen on another space and can switch between spaces quickly.

ditto for my audio workflow, i just keep my apps in separate spaces.

i originally started using spaces due to the "limited" screen real estate of my mbp, but it's just as helpful on my 24in imac.