Dual docking station (lightning)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by phrehdd, Feb 17, 2014.

1. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Family member emailed me asking me what is the best dual docking station (for iPad + iPhone). After a couple of exchanges, I found out it the criteria was to have built in port connections for each and either plug into the wall or USB to computer.

Anyone out there have such a device? My guess is they just want a charging dock of some sort.

Thanks in advance

2. phrehdd thread starter macrumors 68040

phrehdd

So not one Mac fan has a dual docking station? Interesting.

3. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

4. dholaday macrumors member

What do they need it for? There are many alternatives - google [or a search on Amazon] is your friend.

If just for charging, I like the iXCC Dual USB charger - they have a number of different models available on Amazon.

I also backed the FUZ design Everdock - the downsides are that you have to provide your own Lightning cables and you have to provide your own power supply [for charging].

5. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

That EverDock Duo quoted by martinm0 looks really sleek, although it does not come with lightning or 30-pin cables, is a bit pricey, and could use a bit more rear support, imho.

But reading between the lines, if all they want is charging, why not suggest they get 1 or 2 of those outlets with a couple of built-in USB charging ports, to replace some regular wall outlets near where they do their usual computing or charging. Some units just plug in to the existing outlet, without replacing the latter.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=wall+...4NampyAHjsICAAw&ved=0CHoQsAQ&biw=1556&bih=871

You want to look for a unit with at least one of those ports supplying 2.1 Amps, which is what the newer iPads require for a 'normal' charge. A lower rating will charge them, but it will take considerably longer.

6. TechJohnson macrumors newbie

TechJohnson

I use to have an awesome 30-pin dual dock, however, I have yet to see one for the new lightning connector. Definitely going to be following this thread.

7. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Check these out: These Monoprice units just plug in to any wall outlet, have two 2.1 Amp USB ports, have two built-in fold away cradles for iPhones or iPods, and have three surge protected regular 110 outlets.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?ab...mJirVxhB5bVgTHxA9VpjLrTg&ust=1392772960171981

8. phrehdd thread starter macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I think this is the type of device that is in the ballpark. I'll send thie link along and get some feedback. My guess is that a docking station that has the build in lighting connectors is what is the goal. I gather there are some clock/audio devices that can handle an iPad and iPhone at the same time as well.

My guess is the unit will go on a desk or on a bed stand and the Everdock (seems to me anyways) is pretty much the "look" and function wanted.

----------

That is a pretty cool device and something more my speed (I don't own an iPad). Thanks for that link too (for me).

9. Ralee macrumors newbie

USB porting for iPad air

Can I use the apple lightning to USB cable used for photos to se word and excel documents on my new air?

10. dholaday macrumors member

11. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

There are some iPod Radio dual docks. I think there is one that has 2 Lightning ports. not too sure. but they run close to $75-100.

I just use cables or a Radio Dock (single) for charging.
    I did see the other day a 4-5 USB charging brick that allowed you to plug in multiple cables. and 2 were iPad ready (more power)

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just get the iPhone dock and the iPad dock? Glue them together or do the table if you want a "permanent" fixture.

13. 2040 Studio macrumors newbie