Dual drive MBP: Samsung 840 evo disappearing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gustafamaha, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Gustafamaha macrumors newbie

Hi guys! I've just installed a SSD (Samsung 840 evo 250gb) in my MBP Mid 2012 to get a dual drive where i can run OS X and all the apps on the SSD and use my original HDD as extra storage.

The work with the hardware went fine and then I used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy my HDD to the SSD and no problems there either. I booted from the SSD and started using my new faster computer, but then the whole thing froze and when i rebooted it booted from the original HDD and the SSD couldn't be found. After another reboot I was able to see the SSD but not boot from it.

I did the cloning process again but with the same result. I updated the SSD firmware but that didn't help either.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem and/or have a clue on how to fix it?

/Gustav

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Is the SSD in the main bay or the optical drive bay. On some models, a Sata 3 drive won't work reliably in the optibay. There was a firmware update for the 2012 to fix this issue.

It's also possible that you may have dislodged the sata cable slightly.

3. Gustafamaha thread starter macrumors newbie

The SSD is in the optical bay. Do you think it would work better if I switched locations on the drives, so the SSD is in the main bay and the HDD is in the optical, or would i encounter the same problem with the HDD?

4. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

YES, I think that if you Search for this Forum for info on this issue (using some keywords for your MBPs model and year) you will likely find many users who have stated that the SSD 'must be' in the Original HD position..

I have a mid-2011 2.2GHz i7, with a Crucial M4 and the HD in the Optical bay, it works brilliantly for me!! So, I cannot say for a 2012, but pretty sure that you WILL see a big difference in swapping the positions.. I hope.. Good luck!! :apple:

5. Gustafamaha thread starter macrumors newbie

I will give it shot today, I'll be back with the results...

6. Gustafamaha thread starter macrumors newbie

Have switched places now and it works like a charm :) Thank you guys for all the help, i really appreciate it :)

7. marcwjj macrumors newbie

Thank you so much guys, I had the same issue by installing Samsung 840 evo into my Mac Mini late 2012 model (MD388), the SSD partitioning was very flaky and until I swapped the positions, everything is great now!:)

8. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Hello all,

So pleased I found this thread - I did the upgrade last night, using CCC and an OWC Data-doubler.
    Mid-2012 MBP i5 - Crucial M500 in the optibay, original HDD where it was.

I would really appreciate some advice, since if I can avoid having to open my MBP again, I would obviously prefer to...

1.) If I need to swap them around - will the HDD simply slot in to the OWC data-doubler?

2.) What were your problems, exactly - if you don't mind me asking?

Reason I ask: My SSD is read as the new portable each time I option-Start - since I have yet to format the original HDD, by default, it tries to boot from the original.

When I boot into the SSD, all appears to be working as it should - but for the periodic beach-balling. Originally, it was Spotlight re-indexing, but upon each reboot, it still acts up. Programmes mostly open at the speed of light [yay SSD] - but then at random times, I'll need to wait several seconds for beach-ball to stop... Makes things very frustrating, with me having expected an immediately faster machine!

I'm in a bit of a catch-22. I think I need to format the HDD, since [with no authority behind this at all] I cannot but help thinking that the presence of TWO bootables (one being the original), is possibly interfering.

But on the other hand - I'm nervous to wipe the HDD, in case the SSD doesn't come right...

What would you do?

Any thoughts would be very welcome!

9. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

Having two bootable drives is not the problem.
    Put the SSD in the hard drive slot, and the hdd in the optical bay, it will just slot in. Install osx on the ssd, either by cloning or by a fresh install.

10. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Thanks. Hoping this will fix all - been a battle these last few days, nothing too drastic - but my system clearly not as stable as before.

Will do the swap this morning and pop something up when sorted.

11. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Did the swap! Marked improvement - all appears to be running as it should.

Still takes close to 45 seconds from Boot until I am asked to put my password in, but once I have - HOLY MOSES - SSD's fly! :D

Been reading about the speed benefit for the past two years, but until you actually experience it... WOW!

12. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

Cool!

13. modiolo macrumors newbie

modiolo

Hello
    I`ve just read this and was having a bad time with my SSD 250 EVO, which I have as second drive on the replaced DVD bay. This is a late 2011 MBpro and I have a 256 840 PRO on the Original HDD bay
    the problem is as written here, the EVO ssd just disappears... it mainly happens when dealing with large files, as this 30 gb video I got to just move to an external drive....and I cannot do it still... also I have to work on a project with that video (will find an option) and ther is no way to do it...
    The other one runs ok but as I cannot trust this second SSD I have the major files of my sound design project in the Pro one...and I will run short for sure. I have had that ¨the startup disk is full you have to force quit ....¨ I think is a composite problem. I have now turned off the sleep ram image copy... but Im wondering if I could just use all of this the right way, It would be really easy if I could just empty about 100 gigs from the startup disk, that Im now using because the EVO disappears. Well
    Thanks for your help, I thought of asking this here because it was too much of a coincidence, The EVO disappearing on the optical bay...
    Forgive my English
    And Thanks for your help

14. modiolo macrumors newbie

modiolo

Ive just realized the question I wanted to ask was NOT clear at all
    well it would be:
    Is it possible to solve the problem of the Disappearing SSD maintaining it in the optical bay?
    I ask this because the solution the others have found, was to move it to the hdd bay, and I was wondering if there was another one
    Thanks again
    :D