Dual drive setup on a mid 2009 15" pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stig722, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Stig722 macrumors newbie

Dec 12, 2013
    Hi, I have a mid 2009 15" macbook pro and I'm looking to upgrade to an ssd.
    Right now I have a regular HDD. I want to keep my regular HDD as extra storage space and run the os off the ssd. I want to replace my cd drive with the ssd.

I found this kit:

Is this a setup that will work for me?
    Also, does my macbook support SATA 3? Or am I limited to SATA 2?

What type of SSD would I need in order to make this setup work?

2. sunnyj macrumors 6502

Oct 18, 2010
    Vancouver, British Columbia
    Your MBP has sata 2 connections in the main bay and optibay. I would recommend keeping the hd where it is in the main bay and buying a sata 2 ssd for the optibay. You can still purchase sata 2 ssds from owc.
  3. btownguy macrumors 6502a

Jun 18, 2009
    I'm about to save you some money here. Listen up. I just did this in a mid-2009 MBP. There is something you need to know about this procedure that I didn't read about anywhere. Replacing the existing drive with your SSD is easy. No problems there.

Replacing the optibay does have a challenging step that isn't well documented. There is a cable that runs along the top of the optibay (it has some adhesive) that you will need to unplug from the logic board. It is to the right of the optibay, the connector is a little wider than 1/2". You'll try to pull it to the left but it won't come out easy. DO NOT PULL IT UP AND AWAY!!!!!! This is extremely important. There is a little black piece of plastic that is stuck to the logic board by an adhesive and this is what keeps the plug from getting disconnected. You need to remove this little piece of plastic, then pull the connector out, but pull it flat (not up and away). Otherwise, you are at a high risk of damaging the connection on the logic board.

So there, that was free of charge.

Shameless plug, I have a great SSD (almost new) on eBay that I just listed a few minutes ago. Linky is http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231115876485&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123.

Regards, hope this goes well for you.

This is the plastic shim I was talking about. Also, make sure you wear an anti-static bracelet or something to make sure you are electrically grounded.