Dual drive (SSD+HDD) setup on Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by addictzz, Sep 8, 2016.

1. addictzz macrumors 6502

I have a 240GB SSD and 640GB HDD in my Mac Pro. Would like to know what is the best setup to run with SSD+HDD. I installed OS X Yosemite on SSD. I am planning to install a second OS, Snow Leopard, on the HDD. But then I would treat that extra bootable HDD like additional storage. Is that a good setup? Or I should just format the second HDD as HFS+ or FAT32+ drive and use it as extra storage?

The reason I would like to install Snow Leopard is as a spare for any app that was stable in Snow Leopard before but turns out to be unstable in subsequent iteration. And also just in case I would need to re-format my SSD, I still have another bootable one while setup-ing my main one.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

My suggestions:

Leave the 240gb SSD "as it is".
    PARTITION the 640gb HDD into two partitions.

Make the first one your "alternate boot drive" and install Snow Leopard onto it.
    I'm going to -guess- that you don't need to make the partition for SL that large.
    Maybe 120gb will be all the space you need for it.

Use the OTHER partition for general storage, or for storing large libraries such as pictures, movies, media, music, etc.

I've been running this way, with many drives and many partitions, for years without problems.
    I have multiple boot partitions from which I can boot at whim:
    - Mountain Lion
    - El Capitan
    - Sierra

Again, NO PROBLEMS at all.

3. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

What's your need to run SL?
    Can you run it as a virtual machine?