dual dvi monitors with dvi splitter

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by td3201, Mar 11, 2010.

1. td3201 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a macbook 2006 model with the mini-dvi connector. It has snow leopoard installed. I plugged in 1 external monitor and it displays 1680x1050 resolution on that monitor which is perfect. What can I expect if I split that DVI output with a DVI splitter to two monitors?

Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What kind of splitter are you talking about?

The Matrox Dual/Triple Head2Go products?

Because "splitters" split the signal, so that you can run more than one display, but they all display the same contents.

The GMA 950 supports up to 1920 x 1200 pixel on an external display, so don't think you can get more than that.

There are USB video out devices, that might help you though, as they are independent of the GPU, but the refresh rate will not really allow you to view video or 3D games.

3. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

I am a little confused. Are you going to buy one of those adapter that tricks your macbook into thinking that two monitors are one? Or are you going to get a simple splitter and have two monitors mirrored. Also they make usb to dvi converters but I do not know the max resolution.

4. td3201 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just a simple splitter. I use one on my windows desktop and it doesn't mirror the desktop but extends it.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then it might work with your MB, you just have to get the appropriate miniDVI to DVI adapter and maybe a short DVI cable to connect the adapter to the splitter.

But you will not really get more than 1920 x 1200 pixel. With both monitors,

6. td3201 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll post back to the once I get an adapter and try it out.

7. noahsnyc macrumors regular

Any results from this? I'm actually in the same boat w/ an iMac - thread.

I want to have my iMac as the secondary monitor, split to the primary and then mirrored to my television. I'm sure it will work (it's just mirroring), but I'm concerned about having a mirror on two different resolutions...

Thanks!

8. nelupasilk macrumors newbie

If you are looking to display the same image on both monitors I would recommend using a powered DVI Splitter. I have used a couple from KVMSwitch Tech in the past and they work well (Part # DVI-SPL-2).