Dual external displays on MacBook Pro with mini DP port

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paradawx, Dec 29, 2011.

1. paradawx macrumors newbie

this is what I want to do... anyone with any ideas are welcome to let me know how or if I can do this!

I would like to have a dual external monitor setup (not mirrored) but in stead of two HD LDC monitors I want one to be my HDTV and one to be my HD LCD monitor

one is a 22" Samsung SyncMaster 226BW LCD monitor and the TV is a 40" Samsung LD40D551 HDTV.

thanks

2. paradawx thread starter macrumors newbie

wow, over a hundred views and not even a peep.... I guess it's not possible!

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

No, it's not. You can do one monitor through mDP, but if you want more you'll have to go through USB...

4. paradawx thread starter macrumors newbie

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

It is unclear if that product lets you send two different images (unlikely) or if it splits one image to two different monitors (likely).

6. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

What I do is use an HDMI switch. I have my 55" panel and 27" monitor hooked and it's a simple switch via remote for when I wan the tv. Works well.

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

How does this help for a non-mirrored setup? OP wants 3 distinct images on three screens, all at the same time.

8. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Yes I know but since it's not possible to have three simultaneously, he can alternate between the two. It's just an option.

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

True, but OP CAN use 3 monitors at once, OP just needs to use USB for the 3rd monitor.

10. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Not true.

2 Externals or 3 externals is possible on a MBP on only the MDP and the internal GPU. No need for a USB GPU, which is dog slow :

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/

11. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Good to know, I've never seen that before. I'm curious as to how it works, though.