Dual External Displays with MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by benboy12, Nov 11, 2014.

1. benboy12 macrumors regular

Hello all,

I have a 13in Macbook Pro. I am looking at the possibility of purchasing some sort of docking station, so that I can use an external display (2 possibly), an external keyboard, and external mouse. Does anybody have any recommendations? I was looking at a docking station made by Henge Docks.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/henge-d...tion/8240135.p?id=1219320180434&skuId=8240135

My macbook pro has two mini display ports and the dock I am looking at does, too. Would this mean that I would just be able to have two monitors hooked up to the dock via mini display port cables (I know I would probably need a mini display to HDMI or DVI adapter for most monitors) and just be able to dock my macbook in there and be good to go? Would I need anything additional?

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Unless you have the displays already, why not one or two Apple displays? There are both pre-and-post Thunderbolt varieties. They integrate a USB hub, mag-safe charger, speakers, and webcam into the display and make it very convenient to dock/undock.

3. benboy12 thread starter macrumors regular

Well a new apple display is $999. I was thinking of picking up a couple of 23 inch monitors for around $150 each.

4. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Yeah. Apples price is ridiculous these days.

5. arbrx macrumors newbie

I came from two 30" Dell Monitors on a Mac Pro to a Macbook Pro and one LG 34 Wide Monitor:

http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-34UM95

It can daisy chain via Thunderbolt with a USB hub as well - works VERY well. I don't miss the two monitors, even two 30's. I'd consider the LG Wide monitors - good quality, outstanding picture, connectivity, affordable (vs 4K, two monitors) and has the space of two monitors within one.

6. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

This is the way to go.

I'm actually selling my 27" Thunderbolt Display and just bought two Dell u2414h - I've had a lot of setups including Dual Apple 30s, and two 24s are my favorite, plus I'm sticking $150 in my pocket by selling the TBD and getting two 24s.

Win/win.