Dual External Monitor Setup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Meitou, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Meitou macrumors member

Hey everyone. I've been using my macbook pro mid 2012 for programming iOS apps. I was wondering if anyone has connected 2 monitors to their macbooks and how they did it. I've heard of using a USB 2.0 to DVI/VGA/HDMI to connect the second monitor, but was wondering if there were any other options, maybe a splitter? If you use the USB option, could you recommend a good cable brand? I want a reliable brand of cable, I use to buy cheap MiniDisplay to DVI/HDMI cables, but those broke within 2 months, I went through 3 of these cables before I finally bought the official Apple cable.

2. mominsky macrumors newbie

I have a 2013 rMBP and use as you stated, the cheap thunderbolt-->dvi, thunderbolt-->vga cables off amazon. I think i spent roughly $10-15 on each cable, and have been running them 24 hours a day for the past few months with no issues. I have the rMBP running lid open, plus a 19" dell ultrasharp (a 5-6 year old monitor), plus an old 17 inch acer monitor, all with no problems.

One of these days i will upgrade to a single 27" or something similar, but for now just running these 3.

I also am a developer, and i work on remote desktop to the development server, so i enjoy being able to have the remote desktop across one or two screens, and then have specs, or google up on the third - incredibly handy.

3. Meitou thread starter macrumors member

Mine isnt a rMBP, so I dont have a Thunderbolt + HDMI, only thunderbolt.

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Since 2012 mbp have USB 3, I'd get a USB adapter that is USB 3. There is a splitter from Matrox, but I think the USB 3 solution would be cheaper and easier.

5. Meitou thread starter macrumors member

Do you know how much the splitter would cost? I was looking through amazon and found a couple usb 3.0 display adapters but those either didn't support the newest version of mavericks or there were a lot of bugs. I guess this is a downside to having a MBP instead of a rMBP.