Dual FW 800 enclosure for 3TB drives

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iVoid, Nov 14, 2011.

1. iVoid macrumors 65816

I'm setting up a offsite backup system.

Here's what I'd like to do:

Buy a dual bay hard drive enclosure that has FW800 and support 3TB drives (hitachi)

Allow me to setup a RAID 1 mirror.

One of the drives will always stay in the enclosure.

The second drive will be mirrored and then sent offsite.

I'll then install a third 3TB drive and the mirror will recreate it and keep it updated with any changes.

Every month, I'll bring the offsite drive back onsite, swap it for the other drive, and send the 3rd drive offsite.

This way I always have 3 drives with the data on it and worse case scenario is my data is a month old if I lose both of the drives at the production site.

So anyone see any problems with this idea?

And if this will work, does anyone have suggestions for a good dual bay FW800 enclosure that will work with 3TB drives that is reliable and supports hardware raid 1.

I'm not too concerned with writing speed, but read speed needs to allow for two or three simultaneous 720P video playbacks.

I was looking at the OWC Mercury Elite Pro RAID or the Newer Technology Guardian Maximus (which says it has better RAID 1 performance, but I'm not too concerned with write speed).
    But if anyone else has other suggestions for not to expensive enclosures (maybe with hard drive trays to make the swapping easier), please let me know.

Thanks.

2. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin