Dual G5 1.8GHz, 7GB RAM, 6800Ultra, no HDD - 150USD - buy or pass?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Zotaccian, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Price includes shipping.

Another tempting machine altough I think it is bit overpriced since it does not have HDD (which itself is not a problem for me but still). In addition of 6800 Ultra the original graphics card is included. If I would buy it, I am thinking of selling the 6800 (and putting FX5200 in) and almost all RAM (1gig sticks have some value) to get the price down to a decent level since no matter how many gigs or powerful GPU's you put in this it is not going to be a rocket. I don't have desktop SATA drives but I do have laptop 320GB drive (only 5400rpm) which I can use to test and estimate whether or not get a desktop drive. I do have Leopard disc of course.

What do you think about the price and if it is totally wrong, what would you pay? I could probably get this machine this week, seller says he now has box for shipping and is ready to ship if we agree to make a deal.

EDIT: And I could of course try flashing 9800 Pro or something for this machine if for some reason need more graphics power for cheap.

2. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

Does the price include shipping? If it does, then I'd go for it, because shipping on those can be a bear of a price.

Or is it a local pickup?

3. Zotaccian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Yes price includes shipping.

I have no particular need for that machine, other than general interest to these things, I have never owned a working Power Mac G5 :D

4. weckart macrumors 68040

Dunno. I paid £80 for a DC 2Ghz incl shipping recently. Came with only 2GB RAM and the LE card but had a HD with software installed and the £80 included VAT so that was a wash. I would have thought these things would be slightly cheaper in the US.

If the seller is prepared to ship anywhere in the US, then that is the clincher I suppose. These things are heavy and get bashed about by couriers. I had to send my first one back after the shipper dropped it in transit and bent a handle.

5. Zotaccian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Well what you paid is roughly the same, if you had 6600LE then you have newer machine with lower power consumption G5 technology. The price I mentioned is roughly converted from Euros.

6. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

That's about what I paid for my dual 2.0 G5 (with shipping). That's the primary reason why I asked. I'd go for it.

7. Zotaccian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Well I contacted him, let's see if I'll soon have a G5.

8. bax2003 macrumors 6502a

bax2003

Good luck. Post some pictures if you get it.