Dual G5 freezing on first boot

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iLucas, Apr 4, 2011.

1. iLucas macrumors 6502

Hello all,
    Lately my G5 1.8 dual has been freezing on first boot and i'm not sure why.
    If i hold the power button to shut it down, then reboot it, it works great until i shut it down again. Then it freezes on first boot again. It's been doing this for awhile and i think it could be software issues, but im not sure,
    what do you think?

2. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Have you tried zapping the PRAM? Thats what I normally try when I have odd startup/reboot issues. I can recall that once fixing an issue I had with my Sawtooth. It would allow me to reboot but not shutdown. I would select shutdown in the Apple menu and just as it seemed like it was about to shutdown it would start the reboot process. I zapped the PRAM and all was well again.

3. iLucas thread starter macrumors 6502

come to think of it, i haven't zapped PRAM for awhile now so that could do the trick. I'll check back with results after i get home.

thanks zen

4. iLucas thread starter macrumors 6502

So far so good.
    Zapped PRAM and on first boot it never froze.

5. iLucas thread starter macrumors 6502

That one day of not freezing on first boot was luck i guess.
    Since then it's been something new everyday. Yesterday it hung on the blue screen on first boot and it worked on second boot. Today it gave me a kernal panic on first boot with a bunch of text on screen, second time it worked..

what is the deal with it not working on first boot?

6. iLucas thread starter macrumors 6502

Found my solution!
    I had a logitech z 340 speaker system plugged into it and since unplugging it, the G5 has not gave me any problems. Not sure how the speaker system was giving it problems though