Dual G5 Mac Pro Help Black Screen

Discussion in 'macOS' started by leafvillage, Jul 23, 2009.

1. leafvillage macrumors newbie

So I have an issue with my Dual G5 Mac, It has 2.5gb ram, I boot fine, I can open up anything and everything. About 5 minuets into use, the background locks up and freezes. I then proceed to move my mouse and then the screen cuts out and goes black all together and the standby light on the monitor hits... Any Ideas on what my problem could be????? I used Istat and the temperature is fine 30 - 45c

2. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Is your G5 going in to sleep? I remember that the June 2004 G5 needed a firmware update to prevent overheat-sleep. This firmware update might only be available on 10.3 or 10.4. Also make sure that the G5 has the clear plastic cover in place over the CPU compartment when you open the case.

What firmware version do you have? Run System Profiler.
    Code:
      Model Name:	Power Mac G5
      Model Identifier:	PowerMac7,3
      Processor Name:	PowerPC G5  (3.0)
      Processor Speed:	2.5 GHz
      Number Of CPUs:	2
      L2 Cache (per CPU):	512 KB
      Memory:	1.5 GB
      Bus Speed:	1.25 GHz
      Boot ROM Version:	5.1.8f7

3. leafvillage thread starter macrumors newbie

Dual G5 Mac Pro Help Black Screen

I don't think its going to sleep, It could be but the light in the front is on, the screen goes black, the thing just while in use backround stops but mouse works but cant click on anything for like 5 secconds then the screen goes black alltogether.

4. leafvillage thread starter macrumors newbie

System Profile

I cant even save the sys Profile before it shuts off.

5. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Try booting in Safe mode by holding down Shift and see if you can get any further.