Dual G5 Xserve for $700

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ChefJayPeek, Dec 17, 2010.

1. ChefJayPeek macrumors regular

I'm looking at a used G5 Xserve on Craigslist. Wondering if it is worth $700 or so. I would like an OSX server for home use, and have been thinking of getting a Mini Server. I know that the G5 version cannot run Snow Leopard Server, but I think that Leopard that is on it would be fine.

I know it is loud, it will end up in a closet in my house. Where I wish to go with it is to be a server to 4 Macs (eventually) and probably 4 or 5 Apple TV's (also eventually). I would like to have a rack in the closet with some kind of RAID storage to serve up my growing library of media, as well as serve as a, well I do not know how to say it in Apple terms, but like a Microsoft Domain server. I would like to be able to eventually be able to have several Mac clients that when a user logs in, they have their own desktop, no matter which computer they are using.

This is part of my "dream" setup for the house, and I was going to go with the Mac Mini Server, but I came across this Xserve tonight and well that is kinda sexy too :)

Thanks,

Chef Jay

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

You can get those machines for $300 to $400 on ebay, so unless your model is maxed out in terms of hard discs and RAM, that's a very bad price.

3. assembled macrumors regular

the price isn't that good, and neither is the performance compared to an Intel box.

4. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

I wouldn't even consider it unless it were $200 or less.

5. PeterQVenkman macrumors 68020

Just get a mini with 2 hard drives in it. Use an educational discount online and save a few bucks.

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Yeah, because every one here is a student. :rolleyes:

Anyway, if the requirements for storage capacity and speed aren't that high, I'd agree with your statement. At any rate, the storage will limit the Mini's overall performance. The internal drives should be able to just saturate the NIC, external storage will always be limited by Firewire.
    But I figure that the provided speed should still be sufficient for an open directory server for 4 clients.

Power consumption and noise level definitely speak for the Mini, and so does the requirement of using various Apple TV's, which IIRC only work with the latest revision of iTunes, hence require Snow Leopard, which isn't supported on the G5 XServe.

7. holmesf macrumors 6502a

Besides speed there are power and noise considerations. A G5 XServe will use about 130 watts power when it is simply idle, and also produces (I hear) a somewhat annoying amount of noise. The power usage of a Mac Mini is negligible and they are very quiet machines. If you don't want to buy a new Mac Mini, consider using an older laptop as the server, as you'll get the same power and noise advantages.

8. ChefJayPeek thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I do not know why I did not even think of checking eBay first, I usually do that when looking at used items on Craigslist, and yes, found similar ones in the 200-400 range.

The point about the Apple TV and iTunes needing Snow Leopard was one I totally missed, so back to the original idea of the Mini Server. That is really what I want anyways as it is quiet, will sit in a corner with the Airport and everything is good :)

Thanks again!

Chef Jay

9. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

If you need a beefier, more expandable server than a Mac mini, you can always go for a used 2006 model Mac Pro and purchase a retail copy of Snow Leopard Server to run on it. You should be able to find a 2xDual 2.66GHz model for $1,000 - $1,200.

At this point I would stay well clear of a PowerPC-based Xserve. Even the Xeon-based Xserves have significant downsides, especially for a home environment. I think I'd only buy one if I really needed the dual power supplies.