Dual GFX card annoyance...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Firebar, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Firebar macrumors member

So I have a GT120 for use under OS X. It's been running fine on its own.

I happened to be given some store credit at an online retailer. I do a bit of gaming now and then so I purchase a GTX 470.

I'd like to run both the cards side by side, using the GT120 for OS X and the GTX 470 under Windows.

I've put the GTX470 in the bottom most PCI-E 16x slot, with the GT120 in the PCI-E 4x slot as the "helper" card.

I can boot into Windows and use the GTX 470 no problem, very happy with it I am too. However, if I boot into OS X with my display on the GT120 I get to the point just before the login screen. I'm greeted by the typical Mac light-blue background flashing every now and then (as if its probing for monitor res) and occasionally I see the 10.6 galaxy-type background. However beyond this it doesn't do anything else, it just sits there at this point.

Has anyone had this issue before? I'm at a loss as to how I can just get OS X to run with the GT120.

Thanks in advance :)

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Have you tried the GT 120 in Slot 2? I can understand wanting to use Slot 1 for the GTX 470 (because it's double-height), but why exactly are you moving the GT 120 all the way up to Slot 4?

3. Firebar thread starter macrumors member

As I'm typing this I'm experimenting. As you noted, I've just tried slot 2....

So it doesn't work in Slot 3 or 4. It DOES work in slot 2. Only problem is that its very close to the GTX470 - bit worried about ventilation.

Should note I have a 2009 Mac Pro.