Dual Gigabit using TB

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by unplugme71, Apr 25, 2014.

1. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

I'm looking to virtualize my Mac Mini (host + 2 VMs) and wanted to purchase a TB to dual gigabit ethernet. This way I can assign a dedicated NIC to each VM, and the built-in one on the Mac can be used for the host.

Anyone make anything like this?

2. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

I know Apple has a Thunderbolt → single ethernet adaptor, but I haven't seen an adaptor like that that has 2 ethernet ports.

A particularly ugly solution is maybe get a PCIe card chassis with an ethernet card and connect it to your Mac Mini. I've also seen this rack mount that holds your mini and has 2 PCIe card slots in it:

http://sonnettech.com/product/xmacminiserver.html

I haven't used it myself so I can't vouch for it. I just know that it exists. If you get this, let me know. The school district I work for has a few minis working as servers, and I'd be curious how well this works.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Maybe you could get either the CalDigit Thunderbolt Station or Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock for the extra Ethernet connection.

4. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

OP, let me know if I understand your post correctly, but you want a total of 3 ethernet ports (one for the actual Mini, and 1 for each of 2 VMs)?

The dock he listed has 2 TB ports (one to connect to the Mini, & 1 to daisy chain another device). Maybe get this and an Apple TB→Ethernet adaptor?

5. macsimcon macrumors member

I've done this with a Pegasus R8, and it worked great, so I suspect that the CalDigit or one of the other docks would give you what you're looking for (with the appropriate TB to Ethernet adapters).

6. jcbhammond macrumors member

I know this can be done cause I have seen others do it. No experience myself though. The third connection could be the built in wireless or couldn't you use USB to Ethernet adapters?