Dual GPU question. GT120 + R9 270x?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fiatlux, Feb 25, 2014.

1. fiatlux macrumors regular

I have a cMP with a vanilla GT120 card.

Since I essentially do photo stuff (Lightroom 99% of the time), this card served me well, including on a 30" display.

But there are times where I would maybe like to test OpenCL or benefit from some boost in some occasional rendering (video is a very occasional hobby).

Can I just drop any GPU in the second slot, and keep the display on the GT120? Can I mix and match AMD and nVidia? An AMD R9 270x looks like a good deal for instance.

2. teameurox macrumors regular

You should be fine in dropping the 270x in the machine. When I first got my cMP I had a 7300gt and a flashed HD5770 all worked well. The only issue I had was the conflict with windows drivers between Nvidia and ATI/AMD if you Bootcamp. IF its solely OSX you should be golden.

3. fiatlux thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

It looks like OpenCL apps enumerate OpenCL devices and will use any device installed in the system for computing, irrespectively of which one is used for display.

I guess that for what games concerns (not that I play), acceleration would only work if the card if connected to a display?