Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I'm thinking of adding a second 24" LED cinema display. I could really use the added real-estate, but I want to do so for the least investment.

I originally purchased my MP with the BTO 4870 with plans to game in Windows, but just haven't been motivated... this GPU is currently wasted on me.

So, I'm thinking of selling/trading the 4870 for a pair of GT120's... my only concern is I don't want to hack myself off at the knees when it comes to OpenCL performance... when apps start getting around to supporting that.

Does anyone here know how dual GT120's compare in OpenCL to a 4870?

What do you think of my plan? Good, bad or ugly? :confused: :)

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
Afaik,there is not even good synthetic benchmarks for open cl, let alone normal ones as nothing uses it. And propably wont use for the foreseable few months or next revisions of the programs,wich will be months to years.
Let alone apple to support or implement crossfire/sli so you could actually benefit from 1+ gfx cards.

Why dont you just get the 29$ adabter for the minidisplay port and be sorted?

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC

mutsaers-vr.nl

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
The Netherlands
I am always getting confused about what type and how many connections the gt120 and the 4870 has. What kind of connection does a 24"ACD need? If I want to drive 2 24"ACD do I need two GT120 or one 4870? Tell me about adaptor possibilities. Totally confused.

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
I am always getting confused about what type and how many connections the gt120 and the 4870 has. What kind of connection does a 24"ACD need? If I want to drive 2 24"ACD do I need two GT120 or one 4870? Tell me about adaptor possibilities. Totally confused.

Both have one dual link dvi and one minidisplay port. Both can drive up to 2 30" monitors,one via dual link and one via minidisplay->dual link adapter (99$). Or if you have smaller monitor,via the normal minidisplay->DVI adapter (29$).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.