dual hard drive problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bontempi, Aug 20, 2012.

1. bontempi macrumors member

hello

i have an optibay with a second hard drive in my macbook pro 13"

the OS (mountain lion) is on the optibay.

1 - when going to sleep, the hard drive seems to turn itself off abruptly, instead of a gentle fade of the sound it makes. is it normal ? the hard drive in the optibay isn't acoustically dampened so maybe it's normal....

2 - this morning the hard drive clicked a bit and the OS stalled. i had to reboot, everything works fine.

3 - i can hear some kind of hard drive head "clic" sound every 20 seconds or so. i guess it's the OS doing something ?

4 - is it ok to have the OS on the optibay ?

thanks

2. Retrostarscream macrumors member

Retrostarscream

Although most everything worked well in my dual drive setup (OS in optical drive bay) I had issues mostly related to the sleep and wake functions on that drive. I opted to swap positions of the drives, placing the main OS drive in main hard drive bay. It has been super smooth sailing ever since, so that could solve some of your issues.

In regards to the head "clic," I find my mechanical drive (currently in the optical drive as I have a SSD in the main drive spot) doing that occasionally when accessed, not every 20 seconds or so that might be worrisome. Maybe it's not completely snug in the assembly and moves slightly in between mechanical spins.