Dual Hard Drive with SSD as Boot Drive in 2010 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Manchu, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Manchu macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm wanting to setup my mac with a dual hard drive ssd/hdd configuration. Id like to have the SSD be used for osx and the HDD for all my documents and the rest of the junk.

I was just wondering if adding the second drive will affect any of the applications. When I bought my mbp it already had the whole adobe cs6 collection on there. And I lost the serial numbers and all of that stuff. So Im just wanting to make sure that adding this second drive wont make me re-enter any of the serial numbers.

Thank you

2. cledet, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013

cledet macrumors regular

cledet

Where do your applications currently reside? On the SSD or factory shipped HDD?

Here's what you do:

* * * Please backup via Time Machine before doing any of this * * *

1) Install the new SSD.
    2) Use SuperDuper to make a bootable clone of your current HDD to the SSD.
    3) Boot into the SSD. Verify everything is there and works.
    4) Use Disk Utility to wipe current HDD.
    5) Copy over your files and media over the larger HDD.

Let me know if you have any questions

3. Manchu thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome... Thank you so much for your help.

I havent bought the ssd yet because I was wanting to make sure I wouldnt lose my programs. But Im gonna order my Crucial m4 120gb ssd tonight and ill write an update if it works.

Thanks

4. cledet macrumors regular

cledet

5. Manchu thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok... So I bought a 128gb Crucial m4 ssd. I have installed it in the main hard drive spot and put the hdd in the optibay.

For some reason when I go to finder it shows the hard drive in chinese letters and says it needs to be formatted. Is this a real crucial ssd? I got it from amazon. Please help!

Thanks

Attached Files:

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

LOL how would we know if you are the one who bought it?
    Did you format the drive before you put it into OSX?

7. alex0002 macrumors 6502

Did you buy from a link that says "by Crucial" and "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" or did you buy from a reseller? From my understanding there should be no filesystem at all on a new Crucial M4. Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think these are supplied unformatted.

If I had to bet money on this, I would say it is a real Crucial M4 that has been previously used.

For how long I don't know... if you have only just installed it and just switched it on for a few minutes, can you connect it to a machine that allows you to read the SMART data? You'll need a SATA connection, not USB. Then you can check the Power-On Hours.

Or perhaps since it is already installed in the Mac, you can boot with a Linux boot CD that includes SmartmonTools. Then you can read the Power-On Hours using the "smartctl" command.

8. alex0002 macrumors 6502

Just to add to the above, a quick search for "FUSEFS_TXANTFS" suggests this is related to FUSE (filesystem in user space) support for NTFS filesystems and we know that NTFS can use Unicode volume names.

In other words, it appears that the SSD might have previously been used for windows and the Chinese writing is the NTFS volume name.