Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tejasfilm

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
A friend of mine and I were tossing around new ideas and speculation about the forthcoming MacBooks and all the flash hard drives Apple's been buying up lately. We've come up with several different ideas but the top two we could think of were these.

1. Two separate HD's, one standard laptop HD as the main one, and a flash HD as a time machine backup that's onboard. Thus negating having to carry around a separate external HD with you. That's one we've been going at for months now.

2. I showed my buddy a video clip that I came across through veronica belmont's blog that featured her boyfriend having a flash HD in his MacBook Pro. It booted up in mere seconds and was awesome to watch. We're talking mere seconds, you blinked or looked away and you missed it. So we got to thinking what if the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros had two separate HD's. One for just the OS and one for everything else. I personally thought that would rock!!!

What do y'all think????

TejasFilm...

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
Why would you waste a SSD as a backup drive? I don't think it's likely, though, as form factor is quite important to Apple.

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
1. Two separate HD's, one standard laptop HD as the main one, and a flash HD as a time machine backup that's onboard. Thus negating having to carry around a separate external HD with you. That's one we've been going at for months now.

This is unreasonable, as Time Machine backups constantly grow. The memory would be so expensive, and even if you had a 128GB flash backup, it would fill up right away. Even 256GB's would fill up pretty fast for gamers/photo/video/audio users. Then your time machine backups would be constantly deleted, making it pointless to have. Not saying it wouldn't be neat, but the technology isn't there yet, for apple to include in their sub $3000 notebooks.

2) That on the other hand, could pretty easily be done... sounds Awesome!!

128GB SSD Price WOW!

Tejasfilm

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Y'all are missing the point, if you're going to have a flash based HD in there only for the OS then it doesn't have to be big. Think about how cool that would be!!!

olliebraves20

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2007
Lansing, MI
Y'all are missing the point, if you're going to have a flash based HD in there only for the OS then it doesn't have to be big. Think about how cool that would be!!!

Yeah that would be simply amazing. There are huge advantages to that....one being what was said...start up and OS X operations would be crazy fast. I really don't expect to see it come January but if it did then I will be even happier that I waited till then to get my new MacBook Pro....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.