Dual hard drives: one SSD for os x and one for win 7 + data... help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dxerboy, Mar 15, 2011.

1. dxerboy macrumors member

Hi and thanks for reading. In my new 2011 macbook pro I'm using a 180gig SSD. And loving it.

The hardware just came in to enable me to install my stock 320 gig HD in the superdrive bay. What I was about to do to that drive was set up 100gigs or so as an NTFS Win 7 partition for office applications, and have the other 220 or so as data of all kinds--video, audio, and pictures--to be shared between os x and win 7, with by far the most use coming from the os x side. And then put it in the internal bay.

So far with my knowledge I was thinking FAT32 for the data partition, but some searching here has alerted me to exFAT, as well as some warnings about "sharing" data between operating systems (mostly warnings about accessing a mac-formatted drive with a windows machine, but some warning about stability on drives with different formats on them).

I'd love to hear some real-world experience here before proceeding with formatting, installs, etc.--has anyone done what I'm thinking of doing?

Thanks

2. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

I'll be doing the same setup... However, I'll use the SSD as the base for both OS, and then the entire optibay will be one drive accessible to both.
    So about 100gigs of the SSD for windows, the rest for OSX and the 750gb of exfat.
    Not sure in it matters which OS formats the Exfat drive, but it sounds like I'm supposed to let windows do it?
    Otherwise install mac drive in WIndows afterwards, then you should be able to read/write from both OS on the storage drive.

3. dxerboy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that!

Why did you choose exFAT over FAT32?

4. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

Like you can see in Colshines link, Fat32 is an aging format. It won't allow you to utilize big drives properly. So you'd be forced to partition your drive to bits, or do the exfat (if you want to access it from both systems.)
    Remember that your partition sizes should fit your needs. I'm only doing about half half, because I'll be using big file sizes on both systems. If my windows part was for office or similar small work, I would probably settle for around 60gb for the win part.