Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulwgraber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Hi all. I have a Dual G4 Destop, I have an OS X Hardrive via Sata to PATA adapter which works great. Because I have so many classic OS games I wanted to put in a second hard drive with OS 9.1. Well I tried doing this via another Sata to Pata adapter and a hardrive. Well here is the story. If I have both plugged in the mac wont boot up but just a gray screen pops up. If I have just one hooked up, whiter its the 9.1 or OSX one they boot up just fine. So the question is how to get both hardrives installed and not just one. So I can flip back and forth via the startup disk depending on which OS I want to use.

Thanks in advance.
PG

paulwgraber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
I dont see jumpers on either drive.

----------

Well one of the drives anyway is a skinny thin laptop drive that is fully encased with no way to change any jumper settings.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The "jumper" means that the drive needs to set as master (or slave) on the IDE bus. Typically, that would be a jumper on the drive, in the set of jumpers next to the connector. However, the drives (I guess) are both SATA, and connecting through SATA to IDE adapters. The master-slave relationship would be set on the adapter itself.
Here's an example of a SATA to IDE adapter, with visible jumpers on the adapter card to set master/slave/cable select.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sabrent-I...bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n
I suggest making sure that one drive (at the end of the cable) can be set for master, and the drive connected to the middle connector on the ribbon cable should be set for slave. Or, make sure that both adapters are set for "cable select" If you try the master/slave, then double check that one is master, and the other is slave (and NOT both on the same selection)

paulwgraber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Gotcha. I do have two adapters that have two jumper pins on each adapter. So How would I set them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.