Dual HD 2600 XT benefits?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MatchFrame, Jun 12, 2008.

1. MatchFrame macrumors member

I was wondering what the benefits would be for installing more than one HD 2600 XT in a Mac Pro?

I know that you'd be able to hook up 3+ monitors, but what are the actual performance benefits? Are they significant? Are they quantifiable? Do they only affect certain applications or types of work?

I don't intend to use Windows on this Mac Pro or to play games. I'll be doing strictly multimedia work (Final Cut Studio, After Effects, Avid Media Composer, etc).

Hopefully they'll announce the HD 3870 today or tomorrow and I can add it to the stock HD 2600. That's partly why I'm inquiring.

2. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

I don't think you get anything except being able to run more than 2 monitors. I have 2 Radeon HD 2600 in my Mac Pro and am running 3 monitors. Love it!

3. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

Like Bryan said... I don't think there are any benefits other than being able to add more monitors. I could be wrong, though.

4. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

You are not wrong. More monitors. That's it.

5. kabunaru Guest

Can't there be a hack for Crossfire in Mac OS X? :confused:

6. faumble macrumors regular

This will start changing in a few months with software like photoshop CS4 which will start using the gpus of video cards to do task like filters.

7. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Nope.