Dual HDD bay with RAID 0?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by helios16v, Nov 30, 2011.

1. helios16v macrumors regular

I was looking online for quite some time and found a bunch of information regarding the MBP HDD compatibility for 9.5mm and 12.5mm HDD. I have found nothing that states a 12.5mm HDD as lots of people claim to have them installed. Second concern of mine was the OEM 5400rpm vs a faster 7200rpm HDD and found nothing regarding a loss in battery life.

After gaining this knowledge, I found online two 1TB 7200 RPM 12.5mm SATA HDD and an Optical Bay to 2.5" HDD converter that will fit a 12.5mm HDD.

Now the only question I haven't found any answers for this 2TB 7200rpm SuperUltraMegaAwesomeMacbookPro was, "Can have a software controlled RAID 0 for both HDD?" I know it's possible on a Linux setup and as Mac is Unix based it shouldn't be too far off.

So the questions stands.. Can I use a Software RAID setup to have a 2TB RAID 0 Macbook Pro?

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

the MBP will fit a 12.5mm drive in the HDD bay, and a 9.5mm HDD in the optibay, no more.

3. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

4. helios16v thread starter macrumors regular

I did not know that the optical bay will only fit a 9.5mm HDD, thanks for the help :)

I just figured I could run two HDD as one to keep it looking clean and having organization simpler. I'm fine with having two HDD come up separately, I was just hoping there would be a solution to have a single 2TB drive rather then two 1TB drives for storage.

5. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

You can run the WD Scorpio Blue 1TB in Rain their both 2.5" and only 9.5mm.....another option is the Samsung Spinpoint 8(i think) which is also 9.5mm and 2.5":) also they are 5400RPM compared to the 12.5mm which is 5200RPM if I'm correct....

6. praetorx macrumors regular

YMMV with RAID0. Depending on the cluster size you use (that's if the controller lets you modify it - I doubt the on-board controller on the Mac gives you any options... might be wrong though) you may see improvement or degradation in performance based on the size of files you transfer.

That being said, RAID0 will not necessarily provide you with the performance boost you're hoping to get.

I say this from experience by running a workstation with a LSI SAS controller (server class) and two 15000 RPM SAS HDDs in RAID0 not a puny consumer controller and SATA HDDs.