Dual HDD enclosure issue (1 HDD is not being recognized with new Intel Mac Pro)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sphoenix77, May 2, 2010.

1. sphoenix77 macrumors member

Hello, I own the NexStar MX Dual 3.5'' SATA/eSATA External Hard Drive Enclosure( http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/277) and I previously had it connected to my Power PC G4 Mac computer. In the enclosure, I have 2x500GB HDDs. One HDD is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and the other NTFS. In any event, I recently purchased an Intel Quad Core mac and now my computer only recognizes the Mac OS formatted drive and not the NTFS volume. I can see it on disk utility but I get an error (please see attachment). Could you assist me with this issue, please?

Attached Files:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You need NTFS-3G to write NTFS.

Is it only recognized by Disk Utility?

3. sphoenix77 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reply. Yeah, only Disk Utility is the only thing that seems to recognize the drive. I downloaded and installed it, but it still doesn't mount the NTFS disk.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you have another computer to try it with?

5. sphoenix77 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I still have my original Power Mac G4 and it recognizes the disk perfectly.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hey :)

are you able to take the HDD out of the case and connect it into the computer directly via SATA?

that will greatly help with troubleshooting :)

you recieved that error bceause you attempted to repair/verify the disk - which is impossible with NTFS formatted disks on a mac.

7. sphoenix77 thread starter macrumors member

The error was just for informational purposes. The issue is why isn't the NTFS drive mounting... THAT is the issue I want to address :)

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

did you try what the error message suggested? going through the command line to run the command?

im just trying to find out if its a problem with the enclosure itself or with the hard drive.

reboot your computer :p

9. sphoenix77 thread starter macrumors member

I've rebooted the computer BUT I haven't run the command. Actually, I'm not quite sure HOW to do it :) Terminal always intimidates me (wish they have a class on using it or something... haha)

Would I just copy and paste the message into a blank terminal screen?

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ive never played around with that command so i am unsure if it will actually work or not. but yes attempt to copy/paste the path in. it may present some default options for you to use.

have you tried hitting "mount" in the disk utility toolbar lol?

11. sphoenix77 thread starter macrumors member

I have tried mounting it but that's what prompted me to repair disk and when I did that I got the error message.

So in terminal I copied and pasted the command line but I need to add in the device location e.g. dev/<something> ... but I have no idea where to find what the device name is.. any ideas on how I can find out?

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

click on "eternity" (the drive name) in disk utility, then Get Info on it.

Attached Files:

13. sphoenix77 thread starter macrumors member

Ok I have never felt like such an idiot before. Thanks for the information. I did as suggested and input the information in terminal. The Attachment shows the results... however, the disk still hasn't mounted. I just don't understand...

Attached Files:

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

intersting. it appears to have fixed it, but still not working...

im wondering if its an issue with the NTFS-3G installation on your computer?

could you try to uninstall it and see if it gets read permissions?

15. sphoenix77 thread starter macrumors member

WOO HOO!! Success (finally!)

Running the command line in terminal THEN re-installing the NTFS-3G (then rebooting of course). Thank you again for all the help. :D

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

EXCELLENT! glad that its all working now! woohooo.

enjoy!