Dual HDD Enclosure

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cannedkoala, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Cannedkoala macrumors member

Hey,

I have a Freecom XL 1TB USB2.0 external drive similar to the following:

http://www.freecom.com/ecproduct_detail.asp?ID=3888&CatID=400

Long story short, it's been working great as an external drive until recently when the power bricked decided to become faulty and stop supplying power. Instead of get a new power cord shipped from Germany I thought I'd just get a new enclosure.

So I open it up and it has 2 HDD's in there! Each 500gb WD Green.

So ok I thought, this thing cost $200(AUD) over a year ago, so there can't be that much money in the enclosure and still shouldn't be a problem to get one. Except I have no idea what I'm looking for now. All the external enclosures I see are just for a single HDD.

I've looked at 'Mobile Racks' and a few other things but they are all 80-150 dollars which doesn't sound like what I'm looking for. They are all hot swappable as well, whereas mine is just a basic screw it all in sort of deal.

So can anyone give some hints for what I should look for and expect to pay?

The other concern I have, is that when it worked it just appeared as a single drive, so I'm guessing it is set up as Raid 0. I don't know much about Raids, but would it be as easy as simply swapping the drives over to a new Raid setup and having it work? Or is the data fragmented between them and require something a bit more clever? What would happen if I mounted the drives individually?

Edit: Reading about Raids, no idea if it is spanning or striping. Anyway to check?

Thanks for any help

2. macintel4me macrumors 6502

It's RAID 0 and (I think) the format is proprietary to the manufacturer's controller. There is a chance that you could stick those two drives inside a Mac or into a new enclosure and have it read it, but my guess is probably not. If you don't have a backup of your data, then I would get a new power supply, take a deep sigh of relief and then make a backup. I highly doubt you'll find a Dual HDD Enclosure that could read your data that is not from the same manufacturer.

3. Cannedkoala thread starter macrumors member

After reading around the internets a bit, I think it may be a simple JBOD configuration.

It's still sounding complicated to recover though, so I'm on an Australian forum and hopefully find someone else that bought one and just borrow their cable, copy what I need and buy something more simple!

Still taking suggestions though =)