Dual HDD MBP Hanging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ralphalph, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Ralphalph macrumors member

Ralphalph

Hey guys, I upgraded my late 2008 15" MBP with a 128GB Crucial SSD, moving the 500GB HDD into an adapter in place of the optical drive. With this arrangement I have my iTunes media files saved to the HDD, but iTunes is performing poorly and frequently hangs, no beach ball, just frozen for about 60 seconds, then coming back. This includes simple tasks such as playing a track, which will stop and become unresponsive for some time, then come right back. Clearly this is tied to accessing files off of the hard drive in the secondary position, but does anyone have any insight on how I can resolve these issues? I have done the usual checks of verifying the HDD health and repairing permissions on both drives. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

2. Rajpdx macrumors regular

You may want to check the firmware on the SSD. I recall there being some issues with Crucial M4s hanging early on which was resolved by updating the firmware.

There isn't any reason your setup shouldn't work by the way.

3. Ralphalph thread starter macrumors member

Ralphalph

That could be it. I checked that it had the most up-to-date firmware when I installed it a few months ago, but it looks as though there is a newer version.

I am also getting the occasional kernel panic, which has me somewhat concerned about this machine's continued health.

4. Ralphalph thread starter macrumors member

Ralphalph

No instances of iTunes or any other program hanging since upgrading to the newest firmware. You appear to have been dead-on. Thanks!