Dual HDD MBP Sleep Hard Disk?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mirage08, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Mirage08 macrumors newbie

Hey guys. Have a question/problem. I have a data-doubler/obtibay drive. I put a solid state drive in the optibay and left the main HDD in the same main drive bay in my late 2008 unibody MBP.

I have only my home folder (users folder) on the mechanical drive and have all my system files/apps on the solid state drive. I directed OSX to use the home folder that's not on the solid state drive (i.e. the mechanical drive). Works great!!

The problem i have is that I can still feel my hard disk spinning when my computer is idle or just using something like Google Chrome or any app. I selected in energy settings to sleep hard disks when able. I figured, that the main drive would sleep quite often when I'm not accessing files on it (i.e. itunes, documents, downloads, ect.) But it seems it's never sleeping.

The question is: does anyone know how to make it sleep more often or at all and if not, what on the drive (home folder) could I be constantly accessing that causes it to never sleep?

Cheers.

-Mirage

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

In Terminal:

Code:
    sudo pmset -a disksleep VALUE
    Replace VALUE with the time (in minutes). E.g. if you want the HD to go to sleep after 5 minutes, just replace the VALUE with 5 and it would be like this:

Code:
    sudo pmset -a disksleep 5
    "-a" stands for all so this means it will be 5 minutes on battery and when charging. Replace it with -b for battery or -c for charger if you want the time to be different depending on the power supply.

3. Mirage08 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure the HDD will ever go to sleep even if you do the above tweaks. When you're in Chrome, the preferences and caches are still written to the users folder as well. Most applications have something they are writing to the users folder. So if you have your home folder on the mechanical HDD, you're probably stuck leaving that disk spinning.

5. Mirage08 thread starter macrumors newbie

You sure. I though all that was written to application support in library on the root of the drive? (I.e. The boot drive, in my case the SSD?)