Dual keyboards on iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jtcedinburgh, Dec 17, 2010.

1. jtcedinburgh macrumors regular

Hi folks.

I'm hopefully receiving a pretty loaded iMac i7 tomorrow (lucky me!) and I'll be using this machine for a mixture of conventional Mac-based work (PS, web dev) and also Windows-based Visual Studio and SQL Server work.

What I'd like to be able to do is buy a PC keyboard to use when in Windows (bootcamp) and use the bluetooth keyboard when in OSX. I've a wired Apple keyboard on my C2D 24" iMac, and I have found that OSX won't boot with a PC keyboard connected, although Windows 7 seems happy to have both connected.

I was just wondering if the Bluetooth keyboard might be happier to co-exist with a (wired) PC keyboard in OSX...

Anyone know?

Thanks.

2. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I would think so, as the Bootcamp install has the drivers for all Apple related hardware that might need to function in Windows.

3. Thunderbird macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

I have a C2D 24" iMac with Bootcamp, and OS X boots fine with a PC keyboard. In fact, I've been trying out different PC keyboards lately (Unicomp, Das, Topre, etc.).

Sounds like there is a hardware recognition problem with your system.

4. jtcedinburgh thread starter macrumors regular

Bizarre. OSX complains that there's an unrecognised keyboard type plugged in - perhaps I need to also have the Apple keyboard connected at the same time. Sounds like it's more or less the same model you have (24" C2D).

It'll be interesting to see how it flies with the i7 now that it's here... I opted for the bluetooth mini keyboard, the funky mouse and the trackpad. Probably won't use the trackpad now that I've tried the funky mouse, but I digress...