Dual Layed DVD in a typical DVD Player?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iriejedi, Oct 22, 2008.

1. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

I'm helping a friend make a wedding DVD - I have used iMovie and iDVD before for simple Slide shows, but this is my first shot using a real videos. The movie is a bit to big (10-15% over the limit) for a standard DVD at all highest settings. My first choice is to used a dual layer DVD that my new mac pro supports.

Will a typical DVD player be able to read this? Or do I need to crop movie/lower settings?

Thank you.
    IJ:apple:

2. -DH macrumors 65816

You may be better off using a lower bit rate to fit the entire program on a single layer disc. I say that because dual-layer discs have a lower playback compatibility rate than single layer discs.

-DH

3. Exman macrumors member

Yes a standard DVD player will will dual-layer DVDs fine, they are supposed to. If are you Authoring for a dual layer disc (8.5GB), you should increase the bitrate to fill it up to near full capacity (leave some space for the menus). This will give you better quality.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

what are you on about?? all DVD players can read dual layer discs..

OP: as long as you encode it in the correct area setting (i believe its PAL for america and japan, NTSC for everywhere else) you will be perfectly fine. you will probably want to use the dual layer anyway because of quality purposes.. if its your wedding what would you want, a bad quality video or a good quality one? (not a sarcastic question!) haha

5. -DH macrumors 65816

For burned discs (not pressed):
    DVD-R discs (single layer) have close to a 94% playback compatibility rate with stand-alone DVD players.

DVD+R discs (single layer) have roughly a 91% playback compatibiltiy rate with stand-alone DVD players.

Dual layer discs have roughly an 86% playback compatibility rate with stand-alone DVD players.

For pressed dual layer discs the playback compatibility rate with stand-along DVD players is 99%.

You have that wrong, too. North America and Japan use NTSC (slightly varying versions) while other parts of the world use PAL or SECAM: Here's map showing which television standard is used in various parts of the world: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0d/PAL-NTSC-SECAM.svg

-DH

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Many of the retail DVDs has > 4.3gb of content. Yes, DVD players read dual layer disks (even $20 ones, at least in the US), otherwise lots of people are going to be not so happy.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

1. do those numbers vary when burning the same content to the same bran of DVD a few times? if so then i would just test it, if it didnt work id try to burn it again.

if the brand didnt work, id try another brand.

2. dang i got it the wrong way around, hahaha oh well!! i was close haha.
    wouldnt you hate to be on the borer where there are PAL/NTSC changes, youd have to have two dvd players hahaha.

8. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Give the dual layer discs a try. My company uses Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim DVD's. I know Newegg has cheap(er) Verbatims on their site. Just look around because they are pricier.

9. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

How long is your project? If memory serves, IDVD likes to have 1 hour as its highest quality (I use FCP and DVDSP with Compressor so...). If it's only 1-2 hours long, I'd advise encoding it for a single layer disc. If it's 2.5 to 4 hours long, then by all means, encode it for a double layer disc. I've never had a problem with a double layer disc playing on any DVD player or computer (now burning them...there's the problem sometimes)

If it's between 2 and 2.5 hours...you could probably get away with doing it on a single layer disc. Since a wedding is very static (we're not talking lots of action sequences...unless it's a much better wedding than one I've ever been to), you can get away with a lower bit rate.

Or you could use it as a learning experience and make two versions - one for single layer, one for double layer, and compare the final products.