Dual Layer disc burning problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AuburnTiger, Oct 18, 2008.

1. AuburnTiger macrumors member

Ok, so I wasn't sure where to put this because it may be both a hardware and a software problem, but here goes.

First, some basic info. I have a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook. I'm currently running 10.5.4, and have 2 GBs of RAM.

Anyway, I only have a DVD/CD R/RW drive (no burner), but I bought a LACIE external DVD burner a couple of years ago that has served me well for burning backups of films or data discs or whatever. Now that DVD DLs are a bit more affordable I've been wanting to make some data discs.

Now my LACIE burner DVD -R, +R, RW, as well as R DL and +R DL (all of these are clearly marked on the front. I've bought Memorex DVD +R DLs, and that's what I'm using.

Toast Titanium 9 is my DVD burning program. I set the dvd to DVD DL, my write speed to 2x, and everything works fine. It always writes to 100 percent then starts writing the lead out or whatever.

Then I get this message:

"The drive reported an error:
    Sense key = medium error
    Sense Code = 0x02
    No Seek Complete"

Then after I hit enter, it says "The disc failed to be written."

But then, it says your disc is complete and tells me to label it. The weird thing is I can take the dvd out, delete the files on my HD that I've just copied, and put the dvd back in to the external drive and the disc works perfectly fine.

However, it WILL NOT read in my internal drive. Can anyone help me with this problem?

2. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Hook that LaCie to your Mac, switch it on, and then use System Profiler to get both optical drive disk compatibility lists for comparison. If that doesn't work, put a successfully burned dvd into either drive and use Disk Utility > Info to get media compatibility details.

Have you tried a different brand of DL disk? Does the LaCie website offer advice about brands of disk to use with its writer (I think LaCie uses LiteOn brand burners inside)? Maybe a different burning application like Quickburn (read the reviews first), or the OS X burning facility, might work better.

3. AuburnTiger thread starter macrumors member

Is there somewhere I can find step by step instructions for looking at the compatibility lists for both drives? Sorry I don't know how.

4. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Okay, here goes:
    1. System Profiler (SysProf) is an application that may be found in either Applications or Utilities. [I suggest you put in the Dock for future use.]
    SysProf > Hardware > Disk Burning
    Listed there you should see every optical drive that is connected, internally or externally, to your Mac and switched on (external).
    If you click on the name of a device - in your case the LaCie (external) - you should see what disk burning formats are supported [in my case it's a Pioneer drive which supports burning thus]:
    CD-Write: -R, -RW
    DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
    [See that DL there? Dual Layer.]
    If your LaCie doesn't support burning of DL, then there is the problem. However you've already said that it seems anyway to burn to 100%, but that it's the final coup-de-grace that isn't happening. That, I suggest, may be a disk brand/type issue, possibly a faulty drive lens.

BTW - just check the outer 10% of the dvds you're using to see if there may be obvious imperfections. Disks are written (burned) from inner to outer, and the lead-out will be near(er) the outer edge of the disk.

5. AuburnTiger thread starter macrumors member

Is there a way that I can see what types of DVD media my internal drive can read? Doing a bit of good searching, I'm seeing that quite a few people with my particular internal drive model are having trouble reading DVD +R DL discs.

6. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Yes, do just the same with SysProf > Hardware > Disk Burning, only click on the internal drive listed. [In my case, it's a Sony CD-RW, and it can deal with CD-Write: -R, -RW format only. Note the absence of CD+R - of which there are very few, if any, these days anyway.]

Post back with the brand of your internal DVD reader. If it's Matshita, we can deal with that quite simply, ie. replace it! That brand regularly fails to cope with modern media. Try a DVD-R DL disk, for a test run.

7. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Try Toast 8 and anything but Memorex discs - Verbatim double-layer discs are widely considered to be the best available - Memorex double-layer are junk in my experience. I use a Lacie external firewire drive with Verbatim double-layer discs and never had any problems.

As regards replacing your internal drive (combo) - I am not aware of any other alternatives to the Matshita drive you currently have. If you were to swop it for a dvd writer then you have a very limited choice of 9.5mm drives.....