Dual Layer DVD BackUps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Croatian, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Croatian macrumors 6502

Can u copy a dual layer dvd (program-not a movie) onto 2 single layer dvds using Toast vr. 8

or is there any other way u can do that

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

I assume you're asking about Leopard since that's the first software I've seen come on a dual layer DVD? Theoretically you could back the contents up to 2 single layer DVDs but you won't be able to boot it and install Leopard so what's the point?

3. Croatian thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, i got a family pack, and my family lives in a different city so i was gonna make them a copy since last time i got Tiger they lost the original somewhere, they can't seem to keep things in place

so the only way to have it boot would be to use a dual layer dvd

is there a way to copy an image over to the mac from the dvd

4. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

This thread is also kicking around asking the same thing. Seems it'll work with a dual layer DVD.

BTW a family pack license only covers Macs at the same address, if I remember rightly.

5. Croatian thread starter macrumors 6502

if i live in the residence, i don't have an address, my main address is at home so wouldn't that count, since all my mail goes to my home address

6. Stu L Tissimus macrumors newbie

I'm absolutely positive that there's no way to do what you're asking, especially for a bootable disc.

I've heard that some pirates found a way to strip out the Xcode tools or something to get the Tiger install to fit on a single layer DVD, though. That may be your best choice. I don't think duplication of OS X discs is legal, though, no matter what your circumstances are. But hey, I'm not the FBI :D

7. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

Sorry to put a downer on things.. But I was pretty sure that the Family Pack was only for Macs based at the same home address. Not macs at multiple address's (someone correct me if im wrong).

But no, you cant really copy it to 2 separate DVD's. Some folks have had luck stripping the installer down by removing things like Xcode and excess printer drivers. Which shaves off enough space that it will then fit on a regular single layer DVD. Sounds good, but in practice it rarely works.

In fact even duplicating to the correct dual layer disks doesn't always work either. Particularly on older Macs. No idea why...

I have a feeling Apple knew this, as it makes for a backhanded yet convenient form of copy protection ;)

8. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Apparently this is the wording of the license.

The Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that household. By “household” we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home, or condominium, including student members who are primary residents of that household but reside at a separate on-campus location. This license does not extend to business or commercial users.

Read into that what you will.

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Ok. You are wrong. The family pack allows for family members who are at college/university to be at residence on a campus away from the home address.

10. Croatian thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you guys

i guess such is life and i got the original one and my family will need to wait till i ship them the copy or they can go buy one for them selfs