Dual Layer DVD Compatibility With Set-Top Boxes

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ppc_michael, Jun 8, 2007.

1. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

How compatible are dual-layer DVD+Rs with set-top DVD players? Will anyone notice a difference? I want to send some people a DL disc, but I don't want them to have any trouble watching it.

2. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Almost all DVD players can play DL-DVDs. A lot of movies come on DL-DVDs.

3. ppc_michael thread starter Guest

ppc_michael

Thanks for your reply. Aren't DVD+R DL discs somehow different than the "hollywood" DL discs, though? It seems like I read that somewhere, and I guess that's my main concern.

4. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

I never though about that.
    Do you still have your DVD players owners manual? It should say in there.

5. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

I've burned several DVD+R DLs, and they play well in my Sony player (a 5-disc carousel model), and in my friend's Toshiba. My Sony is now 5 years old, so they've obviously been supporting that for a while now at least. However, my parents DVD player, a low end Go*Video combo DVD/VCR unit has problems. The success rate at loading a disc is about 50-50. And for those that do load, the discs will spin for over a minute before loading. But once it's playing it doesn't seem to have any problems, so it seems that it has trouble reading the directory into memory correctly.

I've only used brand name discs though (Memorex), so preformance may differ with off brand DVDs.

6. ppc_michael thread starter Guest

ppc_michael

Yeah! Mine always seem to spin a long time as well, but that's also on my Sony players using Memorex media. xD

But thank you for that information! I think it's just too risky. I've re-compressed my video at nearly half the bitrate I wanted to get it on a single layer DVD. Buuut it was with Compressor, so even at the high bitrates it looked kinda muddy, so I guess it's not a huge loss.