Dual Layer or not?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

If an avi is over 2 hours, and it's being rejected by iDVD, is there a programme that will condense, or will a dual layer blank dvd do the job, if I buy one? Changing prefs in 'one step' doesn't give me the option which I believe you need to do first to make it dual?

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

Try Burn. Google it.

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

That does the whole job yeh? Is there anything that just converts it to copy using iDVD, or.. does the MBP take dual layer dvds if I use them instead for avi over 2 hours?

4. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi people, I have dual layer disc now but it won't let me change the pref window when I use OneStep for movie. Can anyone recommend a splitter to turn the AVI into 2 parts instead?

I have no knowledge of doing the films in the other way, It always fails so unless one step can take dual layer, which it obviously can't because it says change to dual layer in 'preferences' but it's blanked out anyway. And I don't understand the 'disk image' stuff... or the dragging and dropping because something ALWAYS goes wrong.... Googling brings up Explicit, is that what you guys use?

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

It could be a problem with the avi file. A avi is a container for video and audio files. These can be produced by various codecs. Perhaps iDVD is having a problem with the codec that was used.

Try converting your avi with MPEGStreamclip.
    http://www.squared5.com/
    Use the Export to Quicktime option in the File menu, and use the Apple Intermediate Codec in the list of Compression options. You can then use that movie file in a One Step process, or just drag and drop into an iDVD Project window. See if you can then choose the dual layer option in Project Info.

6. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks Dave, no it's nothing to do with that, all films under 2 hours are fine, it's just because it's over 2 which is why I bought the dual layer, like it said, but just wondered if anyone knew how to get it to change to dual, with prefs blanked out?

Or can you suggest a splitter because if it's less than 2 hours it's fine