Dual-link DVI - MiniDisplayPort adapter with 22" screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by takamine, Sep 25, 2009.

1. takamine macrumors member

Hey guys,

Long time reader and my first post. Apologies in advance if there's a real basic answer, but I've tried Google and searching this forum too but couldn't find a specific answer.

Basically, I'm planning to upgrade to a 30" monitor eventually. I currently have a Samsung 226BW and I use the MiniDisplayPort -> DVI adapter.

I was wondering whether if I purchase the MiniDisplayPort --> Dual-Link DVI adapter ($99), can I still use it to connect to my 22" Samsung? I'm thinking of giving my cousin my current Mini-DisplayPort -> DVI adapter, buying the Dual link adapter and then eventually swapping out the 22" for a 30".

Hope that made sense.

Thanks!

2. kasakka macrumors 68000

Since you don't already have a 30" display, I recommend that you just get the single link DVI adapter and then buy a 30" display with Displayport. The Dell 3008WFP is the only one that has one afaik but it's a great display.

The Mini-DP -> DisplayPort cable is like $15, Monoprice is also coming up with an adapter that costs next to nothing. I've used the $15 cable for about a month now and it has been totally problem free, unlike the Dual Link DVI which is both expensive and many seem to have issues with it.

3. defender macrumors member

defender

I've just tried my dual link adapter on my samsung t220, it works fine.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It works, but the adapter is a flaky POS that doesn't work half the time. I'd hold off until something better comes out or maybe Apple decides to fix the adapters.

5. takamine thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies! I won't be getting the 30" monitor anytime soon anyway, just planning ahead, but since the performance is flaky, I'll just hold on the my current Mini DisplayPort -> DVI for now.

Thanks again!

6. Z06jerry macrumors regular

kasakka, do you know if MBP's with 9400m can run the 30" Dell using Mini Display Port> Display Port without the Dual link adapter? If so, can the Dell 3008WFP be used at max 2560x1600 resolution connected this way?

7. kasakka macrumors 68000

Yes. I have the 3008WFP and use a Mini-DP -> Displayport cable. Runs in glorious 2560x1600 without problems on my 13" MBP.

8. tdream macrumors 65816

That is correct, Mini DP to DP works. Displayport/Mini Displayport to dual link DVI requires an active powered adapter for it to work. So you do need the more expensive converter and it won't work fully in all cases.

9. Z06jerry macrumors regular

tdream, I think kasakka's answer above was clear... when using the Dell 3008WFP with a 13" MBP, you do not need to buy the dual link DVI adapter, because the 3008WPF has a DisplayPort input which can be connected directly to the the 13" MBP's Mini-DisplayPort connector.

10. takamine thread starter macrumors member

11. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I was going to spring for an ACD 30" but totally lost confidence in using anything that will require Apple's mDisplayPort-dlDVI adapter, so I just ordered the Dell 3008WFP and the Altaz mDP->DP adapter. That actually costs me less than getting a refurbished ACD 30" with the Apple adapter that might or might not work.

Now I have to wait a month for the Dell. It's on sale, but it's backordered 3-5 weeks.