Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Hi, everyone!

I'm new to the forums.

I am an iMac owner, looking at installing Microsoft Windows 10 in the near future.

Are there any keyboards on the market that are mapped with both the MacOS X and Win10 keys?

I just want to make sure this won't be a problem. Though I have operated Macintoshes for many years, and also have experience with Windows (including Win10), I have never operated a dual-boot machine before.

Thanks everyone!

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
I also posted this inquiry on the Logitech support forums.

I received a ver helpful response there, suggesting that I should look at the Logitech K375s Multi-Device Keyboard, which has both the Windows and MacOS X operative keys mapped. That should do the trick.

EncryptedUser

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008
Hi there

Although not yet on the market, Varmilo is about to release a dual OS mechanical keyboard Mac/Windows. They usually offer a wide selesction of mech switches as well to choose from for the keyboards as well as ANSI and ISO layouts and multiple language legends.

As soon as I get one I'll post a review of it.

Hi, everyone!

I'm new to the forums.

I am an iMac owner, looking at installing Microsoft Windows 10 in the near future.

Are there any keyboards on the market that are mapped with both the MacOS X and Win10 keys?

I just want to make sure this won't be a problem. Though I have operated Macintoshes for many years, and also have experience with Windows (including Win10), I have never operated a dual-boot machine before.

Thanks everyone!

planetf1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
Hampshire, UK
I ordered a logitech mx850. Only had it and the mac a few days but working well. Supports logitech unifying (using on windows) and Bluetooth (using on Mac pro 15 2016 tv)

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2017
There is an app called Karibiner that might interest you.

http://karabiner.apponic.com/mac/

It will allow you to set-up different mapping profiles that are easily switched depending on what OS you are using. I use Mac exclusively but Karibiner is an easy way to use basically any keyboard I want.

Example: I'm pretty stuck on Filco keyboards but Filco keyboards are mapped and supported by Windows exclusively. Karibiner allows me to use Filco keyboards as if they were made for Mac. Might be worth checking it out.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, but by-and-large any keyboard you buy will work with Windows and Mac. The "mapping" is done at the OS level—and drivers are used to add extra functionality.

If you buy a Logitech keyboard for the Mac, when you install Windows and boot into it, they keyboard should work just fine at a basic level until you installl the Windows driver. At that point it will function the same as the Mac version. Same for the other way around.

I use my Apple keyboard on a Windows PC and it works just fine other than the fact that I need to use a 3rd party app to customize the F-Keys since there are no native keyboard drivers from Apple.

Basically when a manufacturer states that a keyboard is "Windows only" — it simply means they were too lazy to write a driver that works with the Mac for those special keys/features.

Maybe I misunderstood what you're asking here.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
When you look down at the keyboard and you're not sure which of the command function keys are which, you need a keyboard with the proper markings for both MacOS X and Windows so you don't screw up and use the wrong key.

FWIW, I bought a Logitech MK850 Performance package (combo keyboard and mouse) via Walmart. Works great on MacOS X thus far. Will be updating to 10.12 Sierra soon, and also installing Windows 10 shortly thereafter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.