Dual Matched Monitors on 24" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wrldwzrd89, Oct 10, 2008.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have a 24" iMac that I'd like to add a second display to - specifically, the Apple 23" Cinema HD Display. I understand that I'll need the mini-DVI to DVI adapter to connect it. My question is this - will it work in dual-display mode? The official tech specs say that only video mirroring is supported, but I searched these forums and have heard reports of people getting dual displays on various Intel iMacs to work out of the box. I'm confused. :confused:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You'll get dual displays doing that and not just mirroring.

3. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Thanks! That seems odd, though, that Apple wouldn't specify that the iMacs support dual-display mode, even though they do.

4. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

For clarification dual display is the same as extended display? if so then yes it will work no problem, I have my 17" iMac hooked up to a 19" Samsung monitor and am currently watching mythbusters on the iMac while my daughter watches Spongebob on the 19" monitor

5. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Success! It works perfectly, just set it up now :D

6. ascender macrumors 68000

Useful topic, thanks. I'm planning adding a second display to my 24" iMac, so this answers my questions.

I guess all I do now is hang on until Tuesday to see if the Cinema Displays are going to be refreshed or not.

7. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Yeah, my wife has her 24" iMac for photography and I've been thinking of getting her a new monitor. I had always looked away from the ACDs because of their age, but I just found out yesterday that they use S-IPS technology, so I could care less about the response time!

8. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

9. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Really. Please share where you found this information - I'm curious as to why my setup is called "screen spanning".