Dual Microphone Issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by silvetti, Jan 18, 2014.

1. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

Hi Guys,

I have an issue, which I don't know if it's a defect of the dual microphone system or if it's just how it is.

Whenever someone calls me on FaceTime and I pickup using the built-in microphone and speakers the caller will always complain that they can hear themselves like an echo which leads me to think that my microphone is capturing their audio coming out of my speakers.

This happens even if I set the volume to low and the microphone level to low.

Anyone else has this issue ? It's quite annoying :(

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

That is because the the microphone is next to the speakers. Get a good USB microphone like SnowBall.

3. silvetti thread starter macrumors 6502a

silvetti

So let me get that straight, my iPad allows me to receive calls without headset and not echo the sound to whoever is calling me but my 3k iMac doesn't ?

And the microphone is on the top and speakers on the bottom.

4. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Is your iMac in a corner or right up against a wall? The echo the other party is hearing may be reflected sound due to the positioning of the Mac in the room.

5. silvetti thread starter macrumors 6502a

silvetti

Yep, it has a wall behind it. So why does the iMac have dual microphones ? I thought it was supposed to cancel the sound.

How can a simple Creative Webcam (with built-in mic) do this flawlessly and my iMac can't ? :(

That's crappy.

6. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Well, the dual microphones (and the software tricks they use) help to reduce echoes, but it can't work miracles. However, if another piece of equipment in the same location doesn't have a similar problem, then perhaps there is an issue with your imac's microphone hardware. Or perhaps it just doesn't work as well as you'd like. While I haven't tried FaceTime yet on my 5-day old 2013 iMac, my previous 2010 in the same location on my desk didn't have a problem at all.

7. silvetti thread starter macrumors 6502a

silvetti