Dual mode Skype phone: Anybody have one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Madmic23, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, I'm looking to save on my long distance and was thinking of buying a dual mode skype phone. A phone that would use my regular phone line for making local calls and recieving calls, and then using Skype for long distance. Skype out is only $30 for unlimited calling anywhere in North America, which really beats the crap out of Bell's rates.
    Anyone have any recommendations on a good Skype phone?

2. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

Hi, i dont know if this answers your question at all.

I currently live in the UK and I use an E65 Nokia. I am on the 3G network meaning I can make skype calls unlimitedly through the 3G network OR wireless Lan.

Is that the type of thing youre looking for?

3. Madmic23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

The Philips VOIP184 looks quite nice and it doesn't need to be attached to a computer, it uses wifi. The problem with the ones that are tethered to your USB port and POTS is that they rarely have Mac support (I have yet to see one), if you have an old PC around you could go with one of those but not Mac.

5. Madmic23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sadly, that's what I've been seeing a lot of lately. I saw a phone on the Skype website that specifically says it does NOT support Macs. That pretty much sucks. Maybe I'll check out one of the WiFi phones, but the problem with a lot of them is they aren't dual mode. They don't make regular calls as well. I guess I can live without that, but that's really what I wanted.

6. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Actually on the Skype site and the included one that I showed do in fact do Skype over wifi and standard plain old telephone service (POTS), so no need to settle for one or the other you can still get an all in one unit.

EDIT: I stand corrected it doesn't use wifi it uses an open port on your router and your plain old telephone cable but it still needs no computer.

7. Madmic23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey, you're right about that Philips phone. I'll have to keep an eye out for that one. The Skype store is unavailable to me as I live in Canada, but I'm sure I can track that one down on ebay or something. Thanks.