Dual monior on Macbook with boot camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Design Agent, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Design Agent macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just bought Macbook with Intel Media Graphics accelator. I installed XP with boot camp, and I have been trying to extend the monitor by using "Mini-DVI to Video adapter" in XP. Everytime I connect not only the XP doesn't recognize the adapter but also the monitor flickers every 1 minute...

I really need to use dual monitor set-up in XP with this Macbook. Does anyone know how to do this or have done something like this? Please help!!!

DA

2. fatspence macrumors newbie

I have the same issue!

I'm sorry I don't have an answer, but if you do figure this out somehow, please let me know as I have the same exact problem.

3. gyumilly macrumors member

I'm not sure about XP, but works fine on Vista x64 SP1 using macbook SR.

4. chscag macrumors 65816

The driver for the Intel X 3100 GMA chipset on the Leopard disk is out of date and does not work very well to obtain the native resolution of several models of external monitor. I had the same problem with my Samsung Syncmaster 220M.

The solution is to go to the Intel web site and download the latest XP driver set for the GMA X 3100 video chipset and install it from Windows.
    That should resolve the flickering and at the same time give you the native resolution of your external monitor.

Regards.

5. fatspence macrumors newbie

Installed the latest driver, it helped...

Thanks for your advice. I installed the latest driver from the Intel website and installed it. Now my macbook recognizes my TV as a monitor, and picks the right resolution. I'm also able to select the Intel Dual Display Clone option, which I wasn't able to do at all prior. However, once I select this option, and change my resolution (I know it's the correct one), the display on the TV still is flickered and garbled. I can see the monitors image on the TV, but it is skewed and flashes quickly from the bottom of the screen to the top. I tried messing with the hardware acceleration, direct draw, refresh rates, nothing seemed to work. Any ideas?

6. bmwpapa macrumors newbie

Installed the latest driver, it didn't help!

I have the exact same issue and MUST resolve it!

I installed the latest driver.
    A search for GMA x3100 returned drivers for GMA 965 Chipset Family.

The driver version/date is:
    14.34.4.4964 6/27/2008

I have the same symptoms. When I configure the 2nd monitor in Display/Properties, it never "sticks". It reverts to single monitor.

PLEASE HELP. This is why I bought the MacBook, and installed XP in the boot camp partition.

7. mkahata macrumors newbie

Dual monior on Macbook with boot camp

i had same problem.
    but
    after install
    ----------------------------------
    PV 14.36.1.4977

winxp_14361
    Package 53478
    -------------------------------
    then " not succeeded to install" message.
    however now my MacBook 1 GB Memory work with external monitor with XP professional.

masahiro

8. bmwpapa macrumors newbie

SUCCESS - Dual monitors on Macbook from within XP

I finally got my dual monitors to work from within XP. Previously, I could only get dual monitors within MacOS. Now, I can do it within XP also (on the MacBook). By this, I mean I can now have a Windows VM that acts just like standard Windows with an extended desktop to another monitor.

How?

VMware Fusion 2.0 Beta2 (actually, support was added in Beta1). With Fusion Beta2, I can create a virtual machine with either XP boot camp partition or a new XP virtual machine (by installing XP as guest OS in a new VM). The host is Mac. The guest is XP.

1. Download/Install VMware Fusion Beta2 to MacOS (see below links)
    2. Create a VM from the XP boot camp partition
    3. Run that XP boot camp partition VM
    4. On the VMware "View" menu, select "Enter Full Screen"
    5. On the VMware "View" menu, select "Use All Displays in Full Screen"
    6. Assuming I have multiple monitors connected, I can now extend...

NOTE 1:
    Step #5 is critical! I could *not* get this to work by trying to configure Windows the "standard" way to extend its desktop to a second monitor (e.g. Display|Properties, monitor #2, extend desktop). Buggy things happened. The good news is that it's easier (once you know how to do it; it's not intuitive to select "Use All Displays in Full Screen").

NOTE 2:
    This enables me to do what I want in a Windows VM under MacOS. I'm still on the lookout for a new Intel driver for GMA x3100 (965 mobile chipset) to hopefully enable multiple monitors when booting Windows natively via the boot camp partition...

---

VMware Fusion 2.0 Beta2 Program:
    http://communities.vmware.com/community/beta/fusion

Release Notes:
    http://www.vmware.com/beta/fusion/releasenotes_fusion.html

Beta1 Features:
    "True Multiple Display Support"
    http://www.vmware.com/communities/content/beta/fusion/fusion2_beta1.html

9. Anime2wars macrumors newbie

But then you not really getting it to work in bootcamp but in VM though.

10. bmwpapa macrumors newbie

Yes, my success was in a VM, not "native" boot camp

Yes, you're right. That was the point of my "Note 2". I anxiously await the Intel driver, or some other, solution that will enable dual monitor in my boot camp partition.

But... I'm just jazzed to have a solution! I was very close to giving up on my MacBook and checking my Apple Store return policy. Now, that I have the VM solution for dual monitors, I'm good until something better comes along.

I will continue to watch this thread for the day that arrives...
    Or, I will post if I learn something new myself...

11. perog macrumors newbie

ultramon...

This program can mirror your monitor in xp, although not perfectly. I have some problems with getting the 16:9 MBP screen res to a 4:3 monitor conversion to work.

http://realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

12. perog macrumors newbie

Macbook pro, ATI Radeon Mobility x1600 clone/mirror works!

Got it working finally! :D

The problem was to get cloning to work with an external monitor that had another form factor than the MBP (4:3 vs 16:9 screens), running XP service pack 3 with resolutions 1400x900 on MBP and 1240x1024 on external monitor. I got the extended display to work but working with the lid closed on the MBP did not work so I needed to use the external display in clone mode (the option to set the monitor to primary display is greyed out and cannot be selected so thus a workaround was neccesary)

So:

I downloaded the new catalyst drivers (at time of this post: 8.12) from this site:

http://www.driverheavendownloads.net/ati.htm

and followed this guide to mod the drivers - I had the monitor plugged in while installing the catalyst software:

http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool.php

Then I used the catalyst control application to set the displays to work in cloned mode (a bit tricky to find: Displays manager->Displays properties, right click on the external monitor and choose clone) Then I changed the display settings to 1280x1024 in order to fit the external monitor and closed the MBP lid and just had to wake it up again by for instance pressing space. Voila! :D

13. bmwpapa macrumors newbie

Thanks for the update.

Q: Is your extended monitor a computer monitor or TV?

When I boot Windows XP via BootCamp, I can successfully use the "Mini-DVI to VGA adapter" to extend my desktop to a computer monitor.

BUT... I cannot extend my desktop using the "Mini-DVI to Video (RCA) adapter" to a TV. This is the problem I'm trying to solve! My primary application for this is karaoke. I extend the song lyrics to a TV for the singer.

I worked around it by booting MacOS instead, and running Windows XP in VMWare. I can extend desktop to a TV, using the RCA adapter, from within VMWare. I just can't do it from native Windows.

Q: Can anyone extend their native Windows XP desktop to a TV? I'm still awaiting an Intel driver fix...

14. perog macrumors newbie

bmwpapa:

Hmm, that seems like another problem due to the adapters you are using.

Q: Is your extended monitor a computer monitor or TV?

I am using a dvi cable directly to a hp L1925 lcd monitor, so I do not have the problem related to adapters. I think the common problem there is that the mac cannot sense the supported resolutions etc when using an adapter. My suggestion is that you check forums related to adapter problems.
    Furthermore I had a problem with "cloning" (mirror) the display in clam-shell-lid-mode ;), not "extending" the display over two monitors. The "extending" of the display was easier to fix than the solution I posted above (when using DVI cable that is)

Apart from VMWare, Parallells works just as well with extending/cloning the display. But the question was if it works when booting up windows using bootcamp.

15. skinned macrumors newbie

I've successfully got a 17" Dell monitor to work as the main screen on my Boot Camped MacBook.

Only probs is, when I close the lid the laptop it's screen stays on.

(when I run the monitor in OS X it switches off fine of course)

I'm worried that the monitor will melt itself.

Anyone know a way to switch it off whilst using an external monitor?

Thanks

16. brannboulagan macrumors newbie

xp output to TV

On my PC I had the same problem, no signal to TV from video card. Took me forever to figure out that with new video drivers the the video card could not detect the tv because the signal was so week. anyways, all i do is bridge the video connection with a small copper wire and xp instantly detects the display every time without fail.

i don't know about macs, but that took me forever to figure out, so i had to share.

17. ColinChua82 macrumors newbie

This is my first post here but I think its necessary to share. Not sure if anyone have a solution but it works for me using Win XP with Mac (late 2008). Scout through the web with no definite solution.

Go to Control Panel > nview Desktop Manager and click enable under Desktop Management (manager box). It will take a while.

If you have enable it, you can now choose the TV Wizard button which is on the last box. It should re-detect your monitor. Hope it helps.