Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjmach

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
I had PC running two 22" monitors. Sold the PC, Sold one of the monitors and have one left. My new iMac 24" is being delivered today. Of all the research I have done spaces is effective enough to where I could sell off the other 22" monitor and not need it. Would it be better to just run the second monitor side by side with the iMac? The screen would be slightly smaller at
22". Would that effect resoulution of the 24" or just the 22" right now max resolution on the 22" is 1680 x 1050. Never experienced dual monitors on a Mac. I do some web design, use Photoshop and usually like to do my training videos on one screen while I use photoshop or the program in another to replicate what the video is teaching. I have the desk space for both just undecided if I want dual monitors or not. whats your recommendation, probably will sway my decision at this point I'm on the fence. Don't need the money so thats not an issue just not sure if the second monitor will look like crap.

bjmach

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
well realized the iMac doesn't come with a mini DVI to DVI adaptor. So would need to make a trip out to Best Buy today to buy one. I guess I could sell the adaptor to if I don't like it :) Just wanted to see if the experience people have had with dual monitors on Macs would be worth the hassle.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Ah yes, fair point.

Anyway, I'd say that especially if you're used to dual screens you'll want to stay that way. Spaces in no way makes up for real extra screen space.

bjmach

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
another point I have seen people brought up from research on here so far. Is that the 22" is a HP monitor but there is a good chance I wouldn't be alble to calibrate to the awesomeness of the 24" iMac.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
another point I have seen people brought up from research on here so far. Is that the 22" is a HP monitor but there is a good chance I wouldn't be alble to calibrate to the awesomeness of the 24" iMac.

no probably not to the exact same but as far as workspace goes, i love the real estate

i cant tell you how nice it is to work on a presentation and be able to research at the same time without moving windows

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Well, it will look quite different. As you say it's 22" vs 24" at the same resolution, plus glossy vs matte (presumably). Still, I'd give it a go. You might find they work (look) better as dual screens if they're not butted right up against each other, give them a bit of space, so that the differences aren't quite as in your face.

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
snip...Spaces in no way makes up for real extra screen space.

Totally agree. While spaces is good for when I'm on the go, my productivity level is higher when working on the dual monitor setup. When working from home, I love the extra space provided by my secondary monitor.

bjmach

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
Ok gonna go pick up the DVI adaptor at lunch...Can't wait to get home and hook up my new iMac totally excited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.