Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

high heaven

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
I have one monitor and iMac on my desktop but I wish I can use dual monitor arms for better environment and functionality.

Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 2.43.18 AM.png

This is an example of dual monitor arms that Im looking for.

2197717-gallery2.jpg

I really dont think that my Ikea table is thick enough to hold 25KG.

Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 2.42.08 AM.png

And this is the stand area which the table need to withstand 25KG. I'm concerning about the weight that my Ikea table might break.

Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 6.15.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 6.15.58 PM.png

Im using Ikea Galant series but the thickness is only 2cm. Since the dual monitor arms' stand is small and yet need to support 25KG, I can not certain if my table can hold two monitors or not.

But still, I want to use dual monitor arms in order to take advantages from free space and articulated arms.

I wonder if there's a way to use dual monitor arms on my desk without breaking it?

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2008
Something you can do is get a strip of metal or even better a L-shaped bar and put that under the desk to help spread out the weight. Just clamp it in.

Reactions: bokkow

MrRabuf

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2019
For what it's worth, I have an Ikea Bekant sit/stand desk at home (the top looks similar to what you have) and use this dual-monitor arm that's holding 2, 24" monitors. I've had this setup for a year and haven't had any issues. If I were going to do what you want, I'd probably do as rdowty suggests and put a piece of metal underneath.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.