Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

utpalsdesai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
i have recently bought a mac pro. i had a dell 24" display that is about a year and a half old (a 24"e248wfp). i wanted dual 24" monitors, so i bought a dell 2408wfp. i've tried calibrating both monitors multiple times, but cannot get the colors to match. i'm thinking of just returning the second dell.

i have tried, many times, to make the newer monitor my main screen, but even if i switch cables, my dock (primary monitor) automatically defaults to the older monitor.

thanks for any help.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You can move your dock actually, just go into System Preferences and select the Displays icon. From there under the arrangement tab you will see both monitors, one will have a white bar above it. Drag the white bar to the monitor you want the dock to be located on.

As for the colors, I would imagine providing they're both hooked up via DVI the color should match. These are the exact same panels?

eMagine

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
datacolor

check out the datacolor spyder color calibration kit. I use it to calibrate all of my desktop / laptop monitors on both mac and windows.

BryanLyle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
I have 3 monitors that are all the same model. I used the Spyder calibration tool on all 3 and each one is slightly different. I've done it a couple of times with the same results.

utpalsdesai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
jessica,
they are different models. they are both connected with dvi. the graphics card has two outputs. i have one with a dvi, and the other with the mini displayport to dual-link dvi adapter. is that the problem? do i need a different graphics card?

eMagine, i will certainly look into the spyder. thanks.

i'm getting the feeling that my whole setup is wrong.

utpalsdesai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
i have done the white bar drag, but my doc will always stay on the left screen (the older monitor)

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
Switch the way they're plugged in.

Also, by the way, you didn't need a dual link adapter - that's only required for 30" monitors.

Start off with the new one plugged in first, then connect the other.

As umbongo says, you won't be able to get a perfect match. Calibrating will help, but you're only going to get accurate colors on the 2408.

Bartman01

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2008
i have recently bought a mac pro. i had a dell 24" display that is about a year and a half old (a 24"e248wfp). i wanted dual 24" monitors, so i bought a dell 2408wfp. i've tried calibrating both monitors multiple times, but cannot get the colors to match. i'm thinking of just returning the second dell.

i have tried, many times, to make the newer monitor my main screen, but even if i switch cables, my dock (primary monitor) automatically defaults to the older monitor.

thanks for any help.

The problem is that the color depth and native color temp of the 2408WFP are VERY different than your other monitor. When my 19" monitor developed 'ghosting' issues, I replaced it with a 2408WFP next to my 2405FPW. I could never get them to match, even in color aware apps, due to the drastically different color spaces and backlights of the two monitors. The 2408 was very blue and the 2405 very yellow next to each other in non color-managed apps due to the different color temp back lights. I finally replaced the 2405 with another 2408. Now my two 2408WFP's (one an A01 and the other an A02 revision) are close enough after calibration to not make a difference. The only time I can see a difference is if I span a window across both and even then it is only a very slight difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.