Dual Monitor- Colour issues

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by SnapperUK, Apr 14, 2010.

1. SnapperUK macrumors member

I have two Eizo monitors connected to my Mac Pro (2x3.2 Quad_core Intel Xeon with NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT) but can't seem to get the colours to match, particularly in photoshop.
    They are both high end monitors and really the hardware isn't the issue. They do however use slightly different ways of calibration.
    The ColorEdge CG211 uses built-in Eizo colour management with ColorNavigator and my Spyder3 sensor. To Calibrate the Colorflex S2231W I use the same sensor with Datacolor's Spyder3 Elite.
    I am confident that the CG211 is calibrated correctly and that it is producing accurate colours. My problem is that I can't get the S2231W close. I have been through all the calibration settings several times. I am of course setting the same target, gamma and luminosity. The monitor while it is the less expensive of the two is by no means cheap rubbish and has plenty of control, I just don't seem to be able to get it to calibrate close to the other screen.
    I have managed to get a close visual match of the screens, which I am pretty happy with. I did this by using the RGB gain control on the S2231W. The browser windows on in safari render almost identically.
    However..... and this is the mystery. When I open an image in Photoshop CS3, then create a duplicate (so I can see exactly same image on both screens) and drag one from the CG211 to the S2231W the colour goes off. The colours actually snap to a different target or white balance as soon as I release the image. So the image looks great on the second screen as I drag it across and as long as I hold it with the cursor but as soon as I release it the colours go. I am not just talking a tiny bit, a really significant amount.
    Photoshop seems to be doing something to the colours. It doesn't happen with a PDF in preview.
    Please bare in mind this is happening when the S2231W has been calibrated (which did not match the other screen), but then the monitors RGB gain has been tweaked to create a visual match between the screens when using in the finder.
    Anyone got any thoughts?

2. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

WRT the color popping or shifting on mouse release, it's likely because when you drag it from the first monitor, PS is keeping the original monitor's profile to display that image. When you bring it to the second screen and then release it, PS now sees that the window is on a new screen and re-renders it with the new profile for that monitor. It seems like the second monitor is not consistent with the first, thus the change.

Some possibilities:
    1) not too familiar with these Eizo monitors, do either of them have LED backlights? I have heard that the Spyder3 does not handle LED monitors well, thus possibly causing an inconsistency.
    2) Can you use the same software for each monitor? i.e. can you use the ColorNavigator to calibrate the S2231W?
    3) When you "eyeball balanced" it, what did you use as a reference? For example if you just tried to match the look of the backgrounds, maybe you got that color close but then you might have screwed up other colors.
    4) Perhaps instead of trying to fix it after the fact, change the WP setting on the new monitor to eyeball match it to the CG211. What I mean is in the calibration software, don't pick 6500K- rather pick a new value which makes the whites look close and then proceed with the calibration from there.

I have a MBP and a Dell 2209WA. The MBP is LED and the 2209WA is CCFL. My i1 display2 works great on the 2209WA but seems to make everything really pink with the MBP. This is suspected to have to do with the MBP being LED backlit. What I do is calibrate the 2209WA as normal to 6500K, then when I go to calibrate the MBP, I pick a custom WB value (including manually adjusting the x and y CIE values) so that the whites look close. It ends up being like 7200K or so. Then I let the software do the calibration from there on. Works pretty well- the differences are quite minimal and probably as good as one can get trying to match a TN panel to an IPS.

Ruahrc